Do you fancy some calisthenics?

Hi guys.
Sorry for not posting much lately, I am struggling with a carving I started during the lock down and that I have been taking on and off since then. So as since I retired last December I have been interested in calisthenics and I thought about making a pair of paralletes. Looking at the existing designs both DIY made or manufactured ones I made a mix of the best ones I found and came up with these.
First I cut off a template to route the four sides exactly equal, it is the first time I use this technique with my router so it was fun and quick.
Here you see the template.
IMG_6478.JPG
And here the setup and the resulting parts. For those I used some 18mm salvaged marine plywood from my job.

IMG_6486.JPGIMG_6479.JPG
Then I took two 40mm diameter rods to make the handles.
IMG_6480.JPG
As most designs rely on the thickness of the sides to be stable forcing them to be much thicker (and heavier than mine) I decided to put stretcher (I don't know if that is the name) on the opposite side to make them structurally sound and resisting front/back and rocking forces.
I made the tenons by hand using my saw and a semicircular gouge which made me make them in very short time.
IMG_6484.JPGIMG_6483.JPGIMG_6485.JPG

Last edited:
Then I made the holes for the stretcher insertion on the side with a fortsner bit of the right size.
IMG_6489.JPGIMG_6490.JPG

And the tenon fit perfectly.
IMG_6491.JPG

I forgot to take ics of the final assembly process but here they are once finished. I applied a light rub of tung oil with a cloth on the exposed parts to prevent then getting dirty with the hands sweat. The good thing is that you can use them in two different heights for push-ups and the high position is for half L-sits. half planche, full planche, hand stands, and so forth. So far I can make L-sits and push-ups, athough my goal is to be able to make a handstand by the end of the year.
IMG_6492.JPGIMG_6493.JPG

Those look solid! That's some really nice looking plywood :cool:

Good luck on the hand stands (y), I was never able to do those even though I have good balance in the other side up it never worked for me for some reason.