Does Handy Andy Count as Neander?

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Every time we're at the shop, my grandson wants to get his Handy Andy tool set out to work with. He found an oak branch sitting out in the yard outside the shop and just for fun we were seeing if it could be cut with his saw. Surprisingly, with a little more effort on my part it, did cut the oak pretty well. After the first cut I got a vision of what the branch wanted to be and made a couple of other cuts, then some notches at the top.

We then set out to raid my wife's office and found the needed supplies to finish the project, along with a piece of a worn out glove.

Pics say it all...
2019-07-27 16.52.11.jpg 2019-07-27 16.52.26.jpg

It was actually quite ergonomic with the knot on the back side to use as a thumb rest. He was able to hit the broad side of the shop with it, the side without windows of course. ;)
2019-07-27 16.18.21.jpg 2019-07-27 16.18.35.jpg 2019-07-27 16.26.11.jpg

I used to shoot snapping turtles on the pond as they stuck their heads up out of the water with one, I'm still a pretty good shot. Of course mine was this style and I used 1/4" steel shot.
61g2LamGQPL._SX425_.jpg

Heck yeah it does!

It's funny surgical tubing was always kind of around places for making a slingshot when I was a kid. I've never really thought about what it was actually used for or why its not as much of a thing anymore.. but now you've got me wondering..

Darren, great time and many memories made with this project!!!!

I had a slingshot just like yours, was shooting it one day and had it pulled back and one of the tubes broke and smoked me in the cheek!!! Man did that hurt! Never shot one after that, makes me jumpy/gunny.

Thanks guys. Well ve taking it down to his great, great grandparents this weekend to shoot with my wife's grandpa. Should make a few more great memories for sure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It was actually quite ergonomic with the knot on the back side to use as a thumb rest. He was able to hit the broad side of the shop with it, the side without windows of course. ;)
View attachment 107387 View attachment 107388 View attachment 107389

You'll put your eye out, lol!

I used to shoot snapping turtles on the pond as they stuck their heads up out of the water with one, I'm still a pretty good shot. Of course mine was this style and I used 1/4" steel shot.
View attachment 107392

There was a period of time in my misspent youth where I did a fair amount of grasshopper hunting with a Wrist Rocket. Even with pea gravel (much cheaper than steel shot) those things can be surprisingly accurate. :thumb: