Door replacements

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I know you all thought to yourselves, "Darren sure is looking like he needs something else to do", I know my wife did...

Neither of these replacements are going to be easy. The front door is the same size, but the brick moulding is about 1 1/2" wider on the outside. It looks like they cut the moulding to fit between the brick on the old door.

So my plan is to remove the brick around the door all together. It seems they didn't tie the concrete porch to the foundation or build with footers underneath, so it tends to setting about 3/4" per year. It's been mud jacked at least once, but there isn't a brick ledge for the brick to set on, so it usually settles along with the porch. My fix has been to just fill the gaps in the mortar year to year. I may frame and box in for some other kind of siding, haven't decided just yet.

brick.jpg

The old door from the inside
olddoor.jpg

The new door view from what will be the outside.
2019-08-15 18.49.16.jpg

The other set of doors will replace this double window. Unfortunately the frame or brick moulding for it is a bit smaller as well, so I'll have to remove the siding and possibly move each side back about 1/2". I think there is also electrical under the window. There is only one outlet on the other side that is fed from it, so may open up the drywall to feed it from the other direction/wall.
2019-07-28 20.17.35.jpg

The new patio french doors. These were hard to find as they are only 48" wide, but finally found some at HD. These are made to swing outward. The soffit above these is pretty low, so should provide plenty of protection from the weather. I will need to work on some drainage along the back of the house though as water does pool up in the bed beneath the window when we get a really good downpour.
2019-07-28 20.14.37.jpg

Anyway, stay tuned, may start on some brick removal this weekend.

Your problem is that you are finishing them too fast. The faster you complete your "honey do's" the faster you get new ones. I am just completing one that I was given 15 years ago. I only got around to it because we are getting ready to sell our house and it needs to be done.

I'm with Bill. You're setting expectations way too high. Think about the rest of us. Most of you are lucky enough your wives don't frequent this place.

I need to replace a couple of french doors, I'll be watching this closely.

Ambitious projects. That settling brick looks like the kind of thing that uncovers another weeks worth of work when you get into it.
Yeah, that is what I'm afraid of. ;)

Your problem is that you are finishing them too fast. The faster you complete your "honey do's" the faster you get new ones. I am just completing one that I was given 15 years ago. I only got around to it because we are getting ready to sell our house and it needs to be done.
You'd think I'd know this by now. Just wondering the best way to get out of the cycle? Fake an injury? Or simply walk out into traffic and hope for the best? :) :D

:lurk:

:rofl: Truer words were never spoken.

Planning to get started on removing brick in the next few days if the rain holds out. Rather than going back with brick, was considering doing a dark exotic hardwood lap/ship lap siding, thought it might be a nice contrast and go well with the new door style. BTW, note the size of the brick mould on the old door/window on each side.
2019-08-20 08.18.51.jpg

One of the buildings that was recently done by my work used some of the wood siding on it, thought it looked pretty nice.
Screenshot 2019-08-20 17.02.55.jpg

Looks like enough overhang to protect a wood siding. You'll just need to refinish every few years, but no different than a door. I think it will look very nice. Planning on wood for both sides of the door, right?

Think about using Ipé. It's virtually weatherproof, and will last nearly forever with no finish. If you varnish it (I'd recommend Epifane) you'll have to recoat it periodically.

My brother is coming over this weekend to help hang my doors. He does them several times a month, so going to let him lead on the install.

I did get the brick off the right side and it turns out the brick molding was behind the brick, not trimmed down. The brick was added a while after the house was built, can see the old painted siding behind it.
58fdac65f800884852fb3d3fa3c3dcc3.jpg

I do have some rot to deal with under the door, I have more demo to do to see just how far it goes.
2dad5b863890635117a9e007c21eac74.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Got the otherside down tonight, had a total of 3 ties holding that ton of bricks up. :rolleyes:

Will remove the screen door and metal trim wrap before the weekend. Also plan to open up the drywall downstairs for the back door.

9a7f1c7a41371097538890ad9d953d76.jpg

2d6d92a6f900a97925132d879992c35e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well, let start with the good. We got doors installed today!

The front door went in quite easily, only took about 45 minutes to get the old out and the new in.
2019-09-01 17.34.43.jpg 2019-09-01 15.48.10.jpg

The patio door took quite a bit longer, and turned out pretty good overall, just hit some road bumps on the way.
2019-09-01 15.25.29.jpg 2019-09-01 15.25.59.jpg 2019-09-01 21.47.10.jpg

The main "bump" we hit was pretty unexpected. It appears that they built the sun room after the main part of the house was completed. It appears they took a short-cut and decided to leave the wood forms for the outer wall in place (???). I came back from the store to find my brother pulling rotten wood from the gap next to the wall.
2019-09-01 11.39.06-1.jpg

This is just about the only solid wood left of a 2 x 6, which was about 48" long at one time, and it was soaking wet. We've been smelling a faint bit of mildew from time to time, but wasn't sure of the source, I think we've located at least one source of it. :rolleyes:
2019-09-01 16.08.05.jpg

Luckily they did put a full footer under the wall and the slab inside sets on the edge of it. but I've got to open up the rest of the walls on the exterior and remove the rest of the rotted wood. As I've mentioned before, the exterior walls on my house are fully framed, insulated, and vapor barriered, then they installed 2x2's on top of the framing to run wiring inside of (???). It's under the 2x2 part of the wall that the rot lies. Once all is removed, I'll fill with concrete, rebuild the removed framing, and re-drywal, paint, & trim out.
2019-09-01 15.18.06.jpg 2019-09-01 15.17.51.jpg 2019-09-01 15.17.40-1.jpg