Drill Press

steve ramsey

Trying to find parts for a HDC FDM 16 floor model drill press. Two of the lever handles are stripped out & the hub they thread into needs to be replaced. I can't find a source for part anybody have a source or suggestions. This was a Christmas gift from the LOML so I am reluctant to junk it but I would love to replace it.

I'm not finding anything in a quick Google search. I wonder if the hub from another brand would fit. Another option might be to drill out the holes on the hub and re-tap them with a bigger thread, then fabricate new lever handles to match.

You might contact Harbor Freight. It looks like the same one I had from HF named a Marc II or something. Actually my first drill press, used it for many years. I loved the way you set the depth of drill travel on it. Anyway, maybe look there and see if it looks the same and if so they may have parts... Always a chance.

I've worked on projects where all of the threaded holes in aluminum pieces had to have HeliCoils installed as part of their construction. The threads then won't wear out and are stronger than the same size thread in just the aluminum. There, for a while, we were going through more HeliCoils than nuts and bolts. I've grown to like them much more than the other kinds of thread replacements that I've seen and used.

Charley