Dropped Arbor nut?

Possibly might help centering the nut as you install it too. I'll be trying it today, well maybe this week. A lot going on today.

I have always kept one of those extendable retrievers with the magnet on the end, for finding the nut and stabilizers in the saw dust, and keep it on a magnetic tool holding strip on the front of the saw cabinet. The blade wrenches and the commonly used Allen wrenches for the fence and jigs are also kept there on that magnetic tool holder strip. It saves a lot of hunting for it time.

Charley

Last edited:
I like that idea. I did have a magnet with a piece of string glued to it, the other end of the 2' long string was tied to a wood block. The idea was to put the magnet on the end of the arbor, much like you show. Then if the nut fell the string would catch it. The block of wood was to keep the other end of the string on the table. This idea is much simpler.

I would be concerned that as the CA ages that magnet would come loose and could end up as a projectile inside the saw cabinet. I suppose it would drop straight down and miss the saw blade but what happens when the blade is tilted?

My solution involved a heavy duty rare earth magnet attached to a telescoping mechanism. I have several around the shop as I have a tendency to drop stuff these days. Brightly colored handles make them easier to find when needed.

IMG_4854 mod.jpg IMG_4862 mod.jpg

I would be concerned that as the CA ages that magnet would come loose and could end up as a projectile inside the saw cabinet. I suppose it would drop straight down and miss the saw blade but what happens when the blade is tilted?

My solution involved a heavy duty rare earth magnet attached to a telescoping mechanism. I have several around the shop as I have a tendency to drop stuff these days. Brightly colored handles make them easier to find when needed.

View attachment 118193 View attachment 118194
Nice handles on those pickups!

. I suppose it would drop straight down

I would be concerned about the Bernoulli principal caused by the airflow around the blade pulling it into the blade.. and then the magnetic force takes over.. followed by the centrifugal force yielding the expected reactions. If I were to do this (and I can't because my saw arbor is weird and entirely different...) I'd probably not use superglue but instead opt for j-b weld or similar. CA has its' uses..

the Bernoulli principal

A slightly less insane scientist / more technical approach

Whether the result is more impressive than this little toy (that yes I built many many years ago.. and yes it totally self destructed so really not safe without shielding haha).. I dunno...

1633540969642.png

Sympathize with the problem. Had an issue when changing the blade on my cms. The rotating safety shield contained ridicuosly tiny screw, spring and detent ball. As soon as I loosened them they went "boing" into the ether, never to be found again. I still use the saw but without the safety shield. Lack of which makes me extra-extra cautious about where my hands are at all times.

Instead of CA glue, how about 5 minute epoxy. It just requires 5 minutes of patience to hold the magnet in position, but being a steel arbor, the magnet should hold itself there, but it might want to slide a little off center if you don't hold it in exactly the right place. Or maybe 5 minute epoxy surrounding a dot of CA glue where the CA glue would hold it in place while the epoxy sets up. Being on the center of a rotating member, I doubt it will even want to come off and disappear into the saw dust, even without any CA glue or epoxy. It's own magnetic field and it being centered on the arbor should give it no centrifugal forces, so it should want to stay there just fine without glue, if you don't bump into it with something. That's when the CA and epoxy should help to keep it there.

I didn't get to the shop yet, but will be doing this first thing when I do get there. I haven't yet decided on the retainment method that I'll be using, but do like the idea.

You should see the collection of adhesives I have around here, lol. Several different epoxies of various curing times, a wide variety of cyanoacrylates, PVA glues, etc.... :LOL:

I have solved this problem by loosening the nut, placing my finger on the end of the shaft and finishing removing the nut--it ends loose in my hand----haven't dropped the nut in many years---works for me.