Dust Collection - Show off your Shop Setup

• Thread starter Deleted at User's Request
  • Start date
D

Deleted at User's Request

Good morning everyone!
I hope everyone is having a great day, and if you're not then let me say:

You are awesome! :thumb:

Wanted to ask everybody what type of dust collector setup they have in their shops.
You can show pics if you want. I've heard that some setups are hard to do because of lack of shop space.

I use HarborFreight 2HP dust collector that has been modified with an internal Thien Baffle (https://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?30156-Internal-Thien-Baffle-for-HF-DC-Tutorial) and the cloth filter bag replaced with a .1 micron Wynn filter.

The control for most of my tools is automatic and power sensors turn on the DC automatically when the tools are powered on/off.

I used pvc S&D (sewer and drain) pipe for the ducting in combination with flexible hose to the tools. All connections are screwed to make re-configuration easy.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Demo of the automatic dust collection. It turns on when power to the tool is sensed, turns off after 10 seconds of the tool power stopping to clear out the ducts.
https://youtu.be/nuHgpZR79pQ

My DC is similar to Darren's...a "2 hp" (yeah, right) from Harbor Freight with a Thien baffle and a Wynn filter. (As I recall I have the .5 micron version). I don't have any ductwork, but instead move a 20' flexible hose to different machines as needed. The other major modification I did to mine was to paint it purple (because purple has the best airflow) and add the Hoover label (because everyone knows Hoovers suck).

Hover DC 1 600.jpg

They do take up some space, the setups are often expensive (duct can cost as much as the DC itself), they are noisy and gets worse with some tools like planers, and if you make changes to the shop the system often needs to be changed to accommodatethings. This is my third (and I hope last) system. I went with a Clearview DC and ran plastic ducting to all the tools.

CV3sm.jpg
sawback copy.jpg

Lovin' the pics! Keep em' coming! :coolphotos:
It's cool to see how everyone has their own unique setups.

... the setups are often expensive (duct can cost as much as the DC itself), ...

In my case, by the time I finished getting everything you see in the photos set up, I had spent about three times the cost of the DC itself. I used good quality galvanized duct for my system. Other forms of metal duct would have cost at least double what I paid.

In my case, by the time I finished getting everything you see in the photos set up, I had spent about three times the cost of the DC itself. I used good quality galvanized duct for my system. Other forms of metal duct would have cost at least double what I paid.

I'd say it was well worth the expense, Bill. You have a great-looking system. :thumb:

I'd say it was well worth the expense, Bill. You have a great-looking system. :thumb:

Thanks, Vaughn.

It was, but I didn't spend all of it at one time. Oneida did the original layout for me. When I bought the DC, I got the initial wye and 7" elbows. My first machine connection was using a single 4" flex that I moved between machines as needed. As budget allowed, I bought additional wyes from Oneida and straights and elbows from a local HVAC supplier. When I got down to 4" parts, I bought them at Lowe's. Overall, it took probably three years to get it done. I've made some minor tweaks to my system and have parts for a couple more drops to do when I get around to it.