Eames Lounge Chair production

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I like to see how they did these prior to the cnc operations they use now.

Herman Miller still manufactures and sells them, but starting at $4,600 they are a bit steep. There are Chinese reproductions starting at around $600 now with PU leather, about $800 with top grain leather. I'm guessing since they were designed in 1956 that the patents have ran out for others to copy them?

Well, I did only spend "replica" prices, but mine got delivered today. Took about 45 minutes to assemble, no instructions included. :huh:
20210123_124332.jpg
20210123_123656.jpg
20210123_123639.jpg
20210123_124038.jpg
20210123_124521.jpg

The leather is real top grain, and feels like good quality. I don't think the pads are removable/reversable like the official ones are. The swivel on the chair is quite stiff, may just need to be lubed.
20210123_160251.jpg
20210123_160257.jpg
20210123_160312.jpg

Overall it's quite comfortable. It may get moved to the guest bedroom, but I wanted it for reading, so may be quieter there anyway.

Looks like a good replica to doze off after lunch ;) or read as you mention. Is it true leader or some sort of sinthetic material?. Nowadays they make them so good that it is difficult to tell unless you see the reverse or cut a piece.

Looks great, Darren. :thumb: I had a friend in LA with an original Eames Chair, and it was very comfy. I could use something like that here.

Looks like a good replica to doze off after lunch ;) or read as you mention. Is it true leader or some sort of sinthetic material?. Nowadays they make them so good that it is difficult to tell unless you see the reverse or cut a piece.
I'm not much of a napper, but has made for some good reading time. There were a couple of areas where the upholstery edges were overlapped and it does appear to be real leather from the back .
Looks great, Darren. :thumb: I had a friend in LA with an original Eames Chair, and it was very comfy. I could use something like that here.
That would be a nice find, but pretty happy with this one.

Well, I did only spend "replica" prices, but mine got delivered today. Took about 45 minutes to assemble, no instructions included. :huh:
View attachment 114617
View attachment 114615
View attachment 114619
View attachment 114616
View attachment 114618

The leather is real top grain, and feels like good quality. I don't think the pads are removable/reversable like the official ones are. The swivel on the chair is quite stiff, may just need to be lubed.
View attachment 114620
View attachment 114621
View attachment 114622

Overall it's quite comfortable. It may get moved to the guest bedroom, but I wanted it for reading, so may be quieter there anyway.
You were able to order parts for the chair ? If so thats a 1st , I've heard of.

You were able to order parts for the chair ? If so thats a 1st , I've heard of.
I bought a new replica of the chair out of China for $830.

I'm guessing the patents have probably ran out on the design as there are bunch of variants of the chair coming from there. I'd also guess that parts for them will soon follow. For the HM version, no, I think you still have to go through HM.

I bought a new replica of the chair out of China for $830.

I'm guessing the patents have probably ran out on the design as there are bunch of variants of the chair coming from there. I'd also guess that parts for them will soon follow. For the HM version, no, I think you still have to go through HM.
I have repairs some of the wood parts in the past but was never able to order the even a screw from them. The chairs are built to last 50 years.

I've been using this chair for the last 6 months as my daily office chair, still holding up well and still comfortable. I had to steal it out of my wife's office, where she would watch tv from time to time. She was wanting it back, so let me buy a new office chair for my standing desk. So far it's comfortable, a drafting desk height chair.
IMG_3880.jpeg
This one... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07V396WT5

I'm 6', and have the seat all the way up at about 38" and the foot rest ring all the way down. It is supposed to support up to 400 lbs.

The desk barely fits upstairs, was my old music station desk. Had just enough room to get the top shelves over the uprights.
IMG_3879.jpeg