Electrical / Remote switch options

Matt Ducar

Hi. Haven't been around in quite some time -- hope everyone is doing well.

Got an electrical question that I'm not even sure how to ask & don't want to look like a complete idiot when talking to my electrician. Hopefully someone here can help me find the correct terms.

We recently remodeled our kitchen. After using it for a while, there is one place where we want additional task lighting. There is no way to run power to the location, so using a battery powered LED light of some sort is our best option. What I want to do is to control that battery operated light using the same switch for the existing task lighting.

Is this possible? I'm thinking of some sort of unit we get wired in with the existing task lights such that when they get power, the unit tells the battery operated light to turn on. Does such a device exist? If so, what is it called?

Thanks,
Matt

Most likely you'll need to look at one of the smart hubs (smartthings, hubitat, phillips hue, etc) that work with zwave or zigbee protocols.

GE and a few others make light switches that let you control existing lighting/switches. With the smart hub you should be able to automate other things when that light is switched on/off.
https://smile.amazon.com/GE-Enbrighten-SimpleWire-SmartThings-46201/dp/B07RRBT6W5

There should be some led puck lights that use either zwave or zigbee protocols, I'll have to do some googling and see what I can find.

I personally have a smartthings hub, I just got a hubitat c3 that I'm still learning to work with that will go in our RV. I've got several motion sensors that work with smartthings that turn on/off lamps and lights in our home. They turn on when motion is sensed and after 5-30 minutes (depending on room) of no motion, smartthings turns off the lights. They work well for security monitoring too.

Thanks Darren! That gives me something to start researching -- progress!
Sure. I'm not so sure you're going to find much for doing anything battery powered. If there is a way to get some electrical, even if not connected to the same circuit as the switch you should be able to do something using the smart switches and a hub. Even if you have a wall plug and used a smart bulb in a lamp or some under counter lights with a smart plug controlling them

I'd be happy to throw out any other ideas, but a little more info or pics on the space would help.

I used this kit when I did my kitchen, I just ran the wires up through the corner of the cabinet along the back side of the face frame and through the celing to the next location, it works off an outlet and has a remote, its low voltage so easy to deal with.
under cabinet lights

Here is a picture of the space. The two switches on the left of the sink control the under-cabinet & sconces. The issue is we want more light going directly into the sink -- it is deep and you cast a shadow into it when standing there. My wife has a visual disability, so we need tons of light.

It is an outside wall and the walls & ceiling have been spray foamed. So access is limited.

Attachments

• IMG_7733.JPG
    IMG_7733.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 8
If there is a way to get some electrical, even if not connected to the same circuit as the switch
^^ That right there is pure genius!! I had it stuck in my head that it either had to be wired into the switch or battery. While there isn't a good way to run that wire, I could get an upstairs circuit wired in from above. I'd still need a way to piggy back on the switch, but having power to run a light opens up options.

I love it when somebody points out something that should have been obvious & it makes things so much easier.