Ellis bandsaw blades

Based on strong recommendations on this forum I put a plug for Ellis blades on my web site. Someone just wrote to me that their dealer in Michigan (his home state) did not list them on his web site. I called Ellis and they were not enthusiastic about selling to individuals, were pushing dealers, and were really pushing blades to cut metal like aluminum. I said "small shop and woodworking" and his interest fell way off.

Is that what everyone should expect from Ellis? Or is there a dealer that ships anywhere and gives good service? Should I drop them from my web site recommendations?

Charlie, It's been a few years since I ordered, but the gent on the phone was more than cordial with me. Helped me understand what I was looking for. He was just downright helpful. Don't ask me who I called, I don't remember. Me being me - I stocked up and have not needed to reorder again.

AND - the Ellis blades - at least for me - are wonderful.

It may just be the individual! I have seen that on more than one occasion.

i had similar experience with ellis but also has been a few yrs back maybe the company has changed hands and new management look at the little guy differently

Like Leo and Larry, it's been a number of years since I contacted them and bought some blades, but they were very cordial, helpful, and supportive of my needs.

I found them nice enough, havent ordered in a few years, but they told me they dont sell to anyone but distributors. I asked, they did sell me I purchased 6 blades from them. I think it was right when they started then no retail sales stuff. I just put the last one on the bandsaw recently.

When I last ordered from them (at least 10 years ago) the guy on the phone was nice and helpful, but he pointed out up front that they had a $50 minimum order. Even back then their website was primarily about metal cutting blades, with the wood blades mentioned almost as an afterthought. It sounds like they are indeed more dealer-centric these days, but next time I need blades I still plan to call them and see if I can sweet-talk them into selling me a batch of blades.

Have never bought from them, and I guess my name won't help any with the retail side. :D I don't use my band saw enough to really be too concerned about the blades, but do make sure I keep good sharp blades on it.... I usually buy the Olsen's from Packardwoods... about $13-$15 per blade and they last through most of what I do on the saw. I did look at the Ellis website once, but more out of curiosity than intend to buy.

Would anybody like to become an Ellis dealer? The person I talked to on the phone was very nice, and if I had been ready to order a bunch of blades, I may have been able to talk him into it. However, it is clear that they are now focused on selling through dealers. I would be glad to provide free advertising on my web site if you become a dealer...

Many of our members probably use 93" or 106" blades for their 14" bandsaws, but if you have a fancier saw, the dealer would probably have to custom weld the blade (my primary saw takes a 178" blade)

Lacking a better alternative, I am going back to recommending Timberwolf Blades from Suffolk Machinery - they seem to have a very helpful web site, good variety of woodworking blades, and in my experience a pretty good deal (I had stocked up on Timberwolf before Ellis came on the forum scene). Any better suggestions?

Seems like I've read these same posts about Ellis the last few years in that they aren't dealing with individuals and want dealers to sell their stuff. Yet, when you search on them and for dealers, nothing comes up, not even a link on their site to buy from one of their "dealers". Are they only wanting to make blades for their own equipment? I just dont get the vibe that they are really into supporting dealers by searching on them or looking at their site. :dunno: