Embellishing an Ambrosia Maple platter

Mike Stafford

Quite a number of years ago I took a class with Frank Penta on Platters: Turning, Detailing and Finishing. It was a week long class at John C. Campbell Folk School. Frank showed us many ways to decorate our platters. In breaks from turning Frank talked about the techniques for some other methods that he did not have time to demonstrate. It was an incredibly informative class. I took copious notes and over the years I have used many of the things I learned from Frank.

One technique that Frank talked about but didn't demonstrate was how to use texture and paint to highlight ambrosia maple. I was looking through my idea book and came across the notes for those techniques and decided to give it a try.

Here is an ambrosia maple platter, a little over 14" in diameter and less than 2" thick with textured areas highlighted by applying black gesso. I am always amazed at how this method makes the highlighted areas of ambrosia figure pop out to the eye. I used different texturing tools and techniques in different areas of the platter.

I have attached a photo of the platter front and some close ups of the textured area on that side. There was not very much ambrosia figure that passed through the textured areas on the back. As they say, "You pays your money and you takes your chances."

Fig. 44-  Finished platter (Custom).jpg
Fig. 42- Center texture (Custom).jpg Fig. 43- Rim texture (Custom).jpg

Beautiful, but I do not begin to understand how the black does not cover the ambrosia.
The ambrosia is masked so that paint is applied only where it is wanted. For someone with neuropathy that is the only way I could possibly not paint those small areas precisely.. I would mask over the figure along the edge. Then I would paint away from the masked edge. When the paint was dry I would mask over the figure from the opposite direction and paint. I had to put arrows on the tape to help keep me straight. That is where the expression straight arrow came from. ;):p

I hope that clears that up....should be clear as mud now.

Fig. 41- Painting more masked areas.jpg