End sealing logs

Peter Rideout

F7280AFB-6318-4872-9AE2-E059AFD0D47C.jpeg
Hi Guys
These oak logs we’re buying were cut two days ago and are now at roadside. I’m conscious of needing to get the ends sealed up soon, as we won’t likely mill them until late summer.
My preferred End Sealer from LV is out of stock until mid July! (This really brings all the supply chain problem stories home!) What do you suggest as a good substitute?
Thanks!

I purchased my last five gallons of Anchorseal on-line from the UC Coatings web site. Don't know about shipping to your area though.
Thanks Ted. I’ll look into that option for future needs, but will probably go with the Jim Delaney solution this time, so I can get it done ASAP. Just curious as to what applications you would have for the stuff that would justify a 5gal pail.

Peter, when I was doing a lot of woodturning (and cutting fresh local hardwood into turning blanks), I could go through a 5 gallon pail of Anchorseal in a couple of years.

As Vaughn said, it comes in handy for sealing turning blanks and the incidental small pieces of wood that are too good to throw away after cutting blanks from a log. I also use it to seal the ends of logs cut with my chain saw mill. It's a wax emulsion that keeps well and when you need it it's best to have it on hand. Case in point...last month a neighbor gifted me with some 12" holly logs. They will blue stain almost over night if the sap is flowing. I got them sealed right away and so far they are still looking good. There's about a gallon left from my last 5gal bucket and it's almost time to order another.

Well, it sounds like I should order some of that stuff, so I’ll check out the online sources mentioned. The young logging contractor asked me if I’d be interested in occasional selected logs, so this might turn into a new thing.
Next problem is how to move them. They’re currently stacked across the ditch on a back road about 5 km from our place, so they need to come home to join a half dozen other logs I have waiting for a sawyer. The logger just has a tractor trailer rig for transport, which will be awkward getting down behind the barn.
The following problem is a couple of them exceed the capacity of my go-to sawyer’s mill. Fun!

Last edited:
Ted, Vaughn
I see there is now Anchorseal 2, new and improved compound. Any experience with this vs. the original?
UC Coatings says they’ll land a 5gal pail here for about $240US in 3-4 days. I’m going to think on that for a bit.

Peter, I've only used the original, so no experience with the 2 version. The original needs to be stored in a no freeze place, but they sell a winterized version. Your price is over double what it would cost here. Maybe just get a gallon to start and wait until you are able to travel south for a larger container?

Some people have reported success with outdated Titebond wood glue diluted with equal parts of water. Never tried it though.

Peter, I've only used the original, so no experience with the 2 version. The original needs to be stored in a no freeze place, but they sell a winterized version. Your price is over double what it would cost here. Maybe just get a gallon to start and wait until you are able to travel south for a larger container?

Some people have reported success with outdated Titebond wood glue diluted with equal parts of water. Never tried it though.
Thanks Ted. The cost made me pause, FedEx Ground added almost $90, then a small import tax. Converted to C$ we’re getting close to $300.
Jim’s original advice on ext latex paint will be the way to go this time. Dry weather is forecast for this week, so have to get them done right away.

DD9A6E62-AF13-4E5A-8A3A-B5D2ED6792B4.jpeg
Got a good first coat of ext latex on all the ends today. Sadly, Vaughn, there was no fuscia or bright purple available!! Lots of curious passers-by on a normally very quiet road: “what’s that fella paintin’ them logs for ?”
Making plans to get them moved home.