End sealing logs

That's a nice whack of logs, Peter. I see a chain saw mill in your future for those big guys.
Thanks Ted.
We actually went to look at some equipment today and will probably go for it. The guy has a small collection of Granberg mills and accessories he’s selling for health reasons. The beating heart of the setup we’re considering is a Stihl 880 with 42” bar. What a beast.

Peter, That 880 Stihl + 42" is a perfect set up for just about anything you will run across. It will handle even bigger bars if you need it to. I have a 661 Stihl+ 36" bar and have found I needed a bigger bar. I could run a 42", but it would be slow going. I also have a 460 magnum that I could pair with the 661 on a duel motor set up, but would need a helper.

Peter, That 880 Stihl + 42" is a perfect set up for just about anything you will run across. It will handle even bigger bars if you need it to. I have a 661 Stihl+ 36" bar and have found I needing a bigger bar. I could run a 42", but it would be slow going. I also have a 460 magnum that I could pair with the 661 on a duel motor set up, but would need a helper.
Ted
He actually has a 60 inch bar and chain with an outrigger handle for an apprentice 😀but that might be a bar too far!! He’s going to hang onto it for now, so I’ll know where it is in case of need.
I haven’t seen a dual engine setup in any of my youtube research so far. Sounds exciting.
I’m giving some thought to some lower grade logs, maybe even softwood, that I can practice on before I get into these prime logs.

I'm trying to remember the brand of the slabber my cousin has, it's a large right angle drive head on a hydraulic stand with an 8' bar. He only uses it for things to big for the band mill though as the band mill is faster, gives a better cut, and wastes less wood (his band mill is a 50hp woodmizer). I'm about 90% sure the chainsaw mill is based on the Lucas Mill super slabber with a custom stand rigged up for it (https://www.lucasmill.com/Portable-Timber-Sawmills/Slabbing-Mills/Super-Slabber)

I'm trying to remember the brand of the slabber my cousin has, it's a large right angle drive head on a hydraulic stand with an 8' bar. He only uses it for things to big for the band mill though as the band mill is faster, gives a better cut, and wastes less wood (his band mill is a 50hp woodmizer). I'm about 90% sure the chainsaw mill is based on the Lucas Mill super slabber with a custom stand rigged up for it (https://www.lucasmill.com/Portable-Timber-Sawmills/Slabbing-Mills/Super-Slabber)
Thanks Ryan
That’s an amazing machine.

i wouldnt use a chainsaw mill on anything a band mill can handle.. they eat up the wood and dont give near the quality of cut peter. as ryan mentioned.
Thanks Larry. You’re certainly right about kerf width and smoothness of cut on a bandsaw mill from my experience. I’m thinking the chainsaw mill will let me get the biggest logs down to a manageable size cant so a Woodmizer can handle it.

Chain Saw Mills (CSM's) also give you access to logs that would be hard to reach with a band mill or inaccessible to the heavy equipment needed to drag the log out. They certainly have their place as a way to slab the occasional chance found log that wouldn't warrant hiring a sawyer. CSM's are not for the faint of heart and you sure work up a sweat slabbing a log, but working with a friend and/or using a hand winch to power the saw through the wood instead of pushing it yourself, and selecting the right bar and chain combo will make the job much easier. My set up works as both a CSM and a router planer sled and is just right for the kind of logs I find.
IMG_1394.jpg, IMG_1390.jpeg,

IMG_1454.jpeg.

Back in the day an arborist friend gifted me a truck load of cherry and I hired the only guy around that would come to me. He had a manual mill and we wrestled those logs all day long with cant hooks and a hand winch to get what we wanted. I swore to never again hire a sawyer that didn't have a hydraulic mill.
DSC04621-c.jpg, DSC04636.JPG,

I went down that road once too, Ted, hiring a friend who had the most basic of bandsaw mills to saw a few maple logs for me. No mechanical accessories of any kind. What a workout!
That’s a nice looking setup you have. Is it a commercial unit, or your own design/build?
Nice wood too!

I went down that road once too, Ted, hiring a friend who had the most basic of bandsaw mills to saw a few maple logs for me. No mechanical accessories of any kind. What a workout!
That’s a nice looking setup you have. Is it a commercial unit, or your own design/build?
Nice wood too!
Peter, It's something that evolved from trying to build a router planer sled using 80/20 aluminum extrusions and fittings, plus some skate board bearings and wheels. I added wheeled trailer jacks from Harbor Freight to the basic frame for adjustability. The Granberg mill gives you some adjustability and the trailer jacks allow more and let you level the rig.