Extension table fail

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Sanded rust off the extension table to the Timberline saw this morning. This was under all the rust.

extension table 4.jpg

extension table 3.jpg

extension table 2.jpg

extension table 1.jpg

Too light to be a boat anchor. Too big to be a paper weight. To unstable to again be an extension table. Requires skill and tooling I don't have to repair it. Too expensive to send out. On to Plan B, whatever that is. :rolleyes:

That last picture that shows the grain of the metal is interesting in its own right.

The other half might be useful as a lapping plate or something similar if its flat enough.

I had replaced a stamped wing with a white oak framed slab of 3/4" MDF on one of my saws. It served me for years and served my dad for nearly as many. Sure its not CI but, it certainly works.

I've done the same as Glenn. Worked well.
qa4aqadu.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

3 of the 4 bolt holes that hold it to the main table are broken out and/or cracked. This one is a goner. I have another cast iron extension table or two somewhere, but that is not likely the fix for this one. Likely it will be a variation of Glenn's extension. The upside is that the entire assembly will be lighter. Since this is to be a mobile job site saw, that is not a bad thing. Build of mobile cab to begin later in October when I get back from my out of state assignments.

Since this is to be a mobile job site saw, that is not a bad thing.

That's actually even better. Since you will make your own and it is a movable, multipurpose beast, you can add threaded inserts or t-nuts in key locations to mount jigs, benchtop machines, parts trays, supports, etc. You could also make the wing with slots in it to accept clamps (a third hand) if that were appropriate to what you will be doing.

Carol,
What did you decide on your extension table conundrum? I have a couple of cast iron extension tables (the open web/grill type) that might work perfectly for you, depending on the size. What are the dimensions of the original extension wings? If they would work, and if you're interested, they'd be yours for the cost of postage.
paulh

I had replaced a stamped wing with a white oak framed slab of 3/4" MDF on one of my saws. It served me for years and served my dad for nearly as many. Sure its not CI but, it certainly works.

Actually Glenn is being too conservative. He did a beautiful job. The wing was a good as a good commercial cast iron wing and a whale of a lot better than most commercial wings or any pressed steel wings. Let me see if I have a picture of it. Yep, I do. It is attached.

The wing was perfectly smooth. Wood slid easily on it. I kept it waxed with Johnson's Paste Wax (Johnson's Non-Skid floor wax comes in a can that looks exactly like the wax used for tools, cars, etc. It has been around since I was a child). The oak strip was only on the end that abutted the table saw top. As you can see in the pic the other edges were buck naked with a 45* bevel to prevent edge chipping. The pic is when we first set the wing up in my shop. A bit later, to replace the temporary leg, a cabinet was built underneath the wing.

I used the wing for several years with zero complaints---until I got a new saw.

As soon as I saw Carol's thread I was going to post to tell her about Glenn's wings. Oh yes, the wings looked great. I forget how he finished them, however it really worked well and looked good too.

Enjoy,
JimB

Last edited:
Another task that got put on the back burner because the day job got in the way. I did design the cabinet and will go with the laminate extensions with a built-in router lift. Here is the rough preliminary sketch. Shop built Tee-square fence. On large wheels for rough terrain. Will have flip up outfeed table on adjustable legs. Built in dust collection. Lots of drawers. To be built in stages. If I every get some time again. Have to finish the shade structure. Next step there requires help and my helper has to recover from hand surgery first.

Timberline saw box.jpg

Well, that sucks! Could you replace it with, say, thetable saw router table extension from MCSI, and kill two avian exemplars with one petrous fragment? It's a nice, heavy chunk of cast iron.

Roger,

I think you knew my parents. They taught me that extended use of four letter words only demonstrated a limited vocabulary on the part of the speaker.

Oh feces! I should put a few hundred examples in this post.

Enjoy,
JimB

Mods, do whatever you wish with this. There is no need to contact me if you think it is out of bounds.