Eyeglass wearers, a question

fred hargis

My wife doesn't get out much anymore, she's high risk and chooses to stay home. But when she does go shopping she wears a mask, normally a surgical disposal type. She also wears eyeglasses, and I watched her struggle to see through the fogged up glasses as we were in the store last Tuesday. Does anyone have a practical workaround for this problem? I'm aware of some anti-foggin compounds but so far she's resisted using them. If I managed to get some of the N95 masks would the fogging still be a problem?

With everyone having different shaped heads, specific recommendations can be difficult. These have worked well for us but, still have some fogging depending on how cold it is. In controlled climates they are pretty fog free. We are retired and don't go out except as required.

We keep a couple masks in each car and have ones we carry when we go out. We have enough so that there are always clean ones available. I have an oblong face. Your glasses frame size and shape will come into play as well. Glasses with a shorter dimension top to bottom may fog less than more rounded glasses where the bottom of the frame is lower on the face.

Attachments

• Glasses Shapes.jpg
    Glasses Shapes.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 3
I only use reading glasses and only when needing see up close... biggest problem is when I'm doing the Farmer's Market and have to see the phone to do a credit card... I'll try the string trick and see if that works...

I find that if I bend the nose piece in a certain way the glasses fogging get better. I don't believe I could describe the way I do it.

I can say it will be really nice to get past all of this pandemic stuff.

I watched a video somewhere online a while back, and it suggested the same thing....if you bend the nose piece solidly against the nose then overlap your glasses it prevents most fog up.....I use disposable paper masks, and when I take the time to fit the mask like that it works. takes some adjusting.

If only out for a short time, bend mask best as possible to fit, then clear Scotch tape across top.

Basically tape seal the top to your face. All our exhaust has to go down then. Somewhat hinkey way to doing it, but it's 2020 so it should be expected.

I only use reading glasses and only when needing see up close... biggest problem is when I'm doing the Farmer's Market and have to see the phone to do a credit card... I'll try the string trick and see if that works...
I tried the string trick Larry mentioned yesterday with my sunglasses, but only for a few minutes. But it did seem to eliminate the fogging. So, I've ordered some masks that Bill recommended, and I'll also order a couple of the ones Glenn mentioned. Like Leo, I'll sure be glad when this is over. Thanks for all the advice!

i don't know if this will work, i will have to try it myself, but, there is the old way of keeping a mirror in the bathroom from fogging up by using a small amount of shaving cream, and rubbing it on the mirror until it was gone.

I think if the glasses are fogging,,, the mask is not working... If breath is going out other then through the mask,,, the virus can go out and come in... If you have a beard,,,, most masks to not work also.... that is why I think masks are really not doing much good. I wear one because it makes my wife happy, and if it catches some virus, maybe that is good... Keeping my wife happy is really enough reason for me...;)
We had a real scare the other day.. Got our flu shots and my got real sick,, like could not get out of bed for two days... She feels much better now, but scared both of us... I did not have a reaction and my wife has not before either. I did have a co-worker many years ago, get a flu shot and ended up in the hospital in a coma.. He was in a coma for three days. He recovered... but that is scary...

Last edited:
I have a hard enough time breathing these day much less adding CO2 back in my lungs. I don't ware them above my nose.
i got thrown out from menard's for just that dave. never going back....

sounds like my coworker paul. got a flu shot, spent the next 3 days throwing up everything but her shoes. same with my dad's neighbors, got talked into flu shots by the kids, got the flu, both of them.

I got the flu, pneumonia and shingle shots same night both arms. That night my arms were so sore I had to sleep on my back/in my chair. That way for at least three days. Got sick, sicker than a dog, hold a bucket and sit on toilet sick. Missed a week of school. They said stomach flu. Covid tested before allowed back at school, negative. Not getting more than one shot at a time from now on.

Don't care how I wear or what type of mask I wear, driving bus in the morning in the cold, just put my glasses up on the bill of my cap.