Fairly Large White Oak Bowl

Dave Hoskins

Finished this up this afternoon. In all honesty, it was gonna be a large cookie jar. But, I had a hard time getting a piece of wood to work as the lid. phhhtttt!!! Next time. So, did a little bit of work to change the lip to being a bowl. Sure is a hard and dense wood. Almost obnoxious to turn! Just makes it more of a challenge. Still trying to figger out why it's called white oak. Ain't white to me. The diameter is 10 3/4" with a height of 4 3/4". The depth is 4" and the volume measures at 1 gallon. Did my usual thing with the walnut oil and shellac.

Attachments

• BLWO23.JPG
    BLWO23.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 14
  • BLWO23A.JPG
    BLWO23A.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 14
  • BLWO23B.JPG
    BLWO23B.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 15
  • BLWO23C.JPG
    BLWO23C.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 21
  • BLWO23D.JPG
    BLWO23D.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 20
  • BLWO23E.JPG
    BLWO23E.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 21
  • BLWO23F.JPG
    BLWO23F.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 19
  • BLWO23G.JPG
    BLWO23G.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 16
Nice look bowl though (y)

Any idea what the line going through it is? It looks vaguely like some graft lines I've seen on nut trees.. but I sure wouldn't expect that on an oak.. and it looks to solid to be a bark inclusion?

Thanks, guys! Ryan, I'm really not sure what to call it. Seems to be typical thing with this white oak I have. You can feel it slightly, but it has no effect on it being solid. Doesn't leak, either. Though you see it on the outside as well. Just one of them thar things! Whatever that thing is.

Thanks, guys! Ryan, I'm really not sure what to call it. Seems to be typical thing with this white oak I have. You can feel it slightly, but it has no effect on it being solid. Doesn't leak, either. Though you see it on the outside as well. Just one of them thar things! Whatever that thing is.

Interesting that you see it a bunch, I haven't noticed it in any oak out here.. but will have to keep a closer eye open! That's one of the cool things turning wood, you get to see all the neat things that happened inside the tree and wonder how the heck they got the way they are.

I only have seen it in this load of white oak. Don't know if that is a typical thing or not. Don't see it in red oak or live oak. As we all know, trees are affected by their environment. This particular tree came from an area that was almost like a bog. I wasn't sure if we were gonna get it out. The tractor, even though 4 wheel drive would just sit and spin it's tires a lot of times. Ended up placing the tractor on more firm ground and attaching my two longest cables together and then used that to get the logs to drier ground. That was almost 60' of cable being used. The constant wetness may have done something special to the tree?? Dunno.