Fancy Bread Pudding

Mike Stafford

I am going to post this recipe but I am warning all of you that I will not be responsible for what happens when you serve it. My wife plays bridge and also is a member of a book club. When it is her turn to host I usually cook for the ladies. Sometimes it is a full meal and sometimes it is just a dessert. The bread pudding recipe that follows is one of the most delicious recipes I have ever tasted.

This bread pudding is so delicious I have had numerous women offer their bodies to me (Which is a pretty safe thing to do all things considered.) What made me think of it was the discussion about cherries in another thread as this recipe uses chopped dried cherries.

Once again I am going to caution you as to the danger this recipe poses. When women eat this after the first bite you will see their eyes glaze over and they will look at you with that come hither look.

Let's be careful out there!

Fancy Bread Pudding

Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more for the baking dish
2 1/2 cups challah bread cubes (1-inch cubes) (Challah is a soft bread that is slightly sweet that you can get at most grocery store bakeries if you order it in advance.)
2 1/2 cups whole milk 2 tablespoons vanilla 2 large eggs 1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup whiskey(Jack Daniels) 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup roughly chopped dried cherries 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans

Whiskey Cream Sauce:
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter 1/2 cup heavy cream 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup whiskey (Jack Daniels is best)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch baking dish.
Arrange the bread cubes tightly in the prepared baking dish. Beat together the butter, milk, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl. Add the granulated and brown sugars, whiskey and cinnamon and mix until the sugars are dissolved. Pour the mixture over the bread. Sprinkle the cherries and pecans all over.
Put the baking dish on a baking sheet. Bake until the crust is golden brown, 55 to 70 minutes. Let rest for 20 minutes before serving with Whiskey Cream Sauce.

Whiskey Cream Sauce:
Combine the butter, cream, sugar and whiskey in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches a low boil. Pour a small amount over the individual servings of bread pudding.

BTW, I'm not really a fan of Jack Daniels.... I spent an afternoon at the Acey/Duecy club on Alameda with a group of sailors and a couple of their girlfriends....
I was the only white boy there, but the girls all thought it would be fun to buy me shots of JD lots of them... after the party we all started downtown San Francisco, in my car with me driving... after we got to the club downtown I realized I was already to SF'd to go further with them... headed back to TI where I was on TDY, climbed up into my top rack and the whole world was going around in circles.... I had to climb down and take a lower bunk so I could keep a foot on the floor to stop the spin. Not much JD has passed my lips since.
I did save the recipe.

I love bread pudding, but rest assured, I WILL NOT offer you my body. :rofl::rofl:
That's good news for both of us as I would hate to disappoint you as much as I disappoint the ladies. :ROFLMAO:

It is a wonderful recipe and quite delicious. The challah makes it lighter than most bread pudding recipes.

You can use whatever bourbon you like. In this instance we use Jack Daniels because that is what we have. I have made it with Wild Turkey and it was quite delicious as well. The alcohol burns off in the oven so the flavor is all that you end up with. I don't drink but I do cook with alcohol on occasion.

The alcohol burns off in the oven so the flavor is all that you end up with

Common misconception, Based on your recipe I would estimate over 80% remains in the sauce and 25-50% remains in the cake probably closer to 25-30% (it's difficult to be a lot more precise but those numbers are likely really close).

As anyone who's run more than a bit of shine will note the evaporation of alcohol is neither instant nor complete but follows a complex curve :D

Dsiclaimer: running shine is, of course, illegal so my knowledge in this regard is purely hypothetical.

I should also note that in this case dilution of the solution reduces the impact on your constitution ... and the overall percentage in the pudding itself is calculating out somewhere a bit below 1% (I'm eyeballing it a bit and making some assumptions on the weight of the bread).