FAQ's, shooting muffs and cleaning recommendations (cleaner/oil).

I tried to find the rules you see when you register, under the FAQ's, but I didn't see them. So I did a search as some forums don't allow firearms in any discussions (and my first search turned up testy stuff about a joke).
Then I found several others, so I expect this thread won't violate any rules.
It has been better then 20 years for me on going to the shooting range, and I would like to go again. My old muffs the foam disintegrated and since I did more shop stuff, were replaced with those radio headset ones (don't think they are designed for/ok for shooting). I'd like some recommendations on some new ones.
Also I didn't own any guns when I went, then (right around legal age, but more expenses then money), as a LEO friend taught me some of his and we rented several (figure out likes, dislikes, etc). I bought a cleaning kit back then, as I did a bit of learning about cleaning on his guns, but one of the old chemical's is now listed as a do not use on x parts, on several possibilities I am looking at. So I am looking for what you would recommend for both cleaners and oil?
Thanks

I've been using the Howard Leight electronic muffs for the range, but will also add foam ear plugs if I'm on the rifle side. They work well for being able to chat with other shooters and not have to remove the ear protection. If you're looking for cheaper muffs, they make some passive versions, I still use the additional ear plugs with those on the rifle side.

For mine, I use the Hoppes products, Hoppes #9 and brushes usually, Remington gun oil, usually for wood stock touch-ups I use BLO.

I'll usually go out to Lake City or over to Parma Woods to shoot, both are MO conservation ranges and are pretty strict on rules and safety, but a comfortable place to go shoot if you haven't done it in a while, also only $3 an hour. I've gone to cross-fire and show-me shooters a few times, I think there is one now in Blue Springs too. I've been meaning to try out Frontier Justice over in Lee's Summit as it is a bit closer to me.

Let me know if you have other questions. :wave:

Add another vote for the Howard Leight electronic muffs. I've got about a third of the shooting club I belong to using them.

It's my understanding that some of the newer anodized finishes don't get along well with Hoppe's #9, so I now just use the Hoppes to clean inside dirty barrels and mechanical parts. It's still the best I've found for removing powder and lead residue. For lighter jobs, like a pistol after running a box or so of ammo through it at the range, I like using CLP in the barrel and on the action. For the outside, I just wipe things down with a clean rag when I'm done cleaning the inside. And for lubricating moving parts on semi-autos, I've been using Frog Lube (recommended by my nephew who works in a gun shop).

I've just about retired my cleaning rod and brushes these days, and use a BoreSnake about 90% of the time. They're just more convenient in my opinion. Still, the rod comes out when I really need to scrub a barrel.

Add another vote for the Howard Leight electronic muffs. I've got about a third of the shooting club I belong to using them.

It's my understanding that some of the newer anodized finishes don't get along well with Hoppe's #9, so I now just use the Hoppes to clean inside dirty barrels and mechanical parts. It's still the best I've found for removing powder and lead residue. For lighter jobs, like a pistol after running a box or so of ammo through it at the range, I like using CLP in the barrel and on the action. For the outside, I just wipe things down with a clean rag when I'm done cleaning the inside. And for lubricating moving parts on semi-autos, I've been using Frog Lube (recommended by my nephew who works in a gun shop).

I've just about retired my cleaning rod and brushes these days, and use a BoreSnake about 90% of the time. They're just more convenient in my opinion. Still, the rod comes out when I really need to scrub a barrel.
Interesting info regarding the anodized metal. I'll have to give the the others a try. :thumb:

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

There are several excellent brands of muffs on the market. Wolf, Clark are but two. Their electronic models allow normal speech level sounds but shut down with loud noises. They ain't cheap. I have muffs but rarely use them on the range depending instead on foam plugs. BTW, I always have a pair of foam plugs in my pocket. I do occasionally put on the muffs in my shop, easier for a two minute cut on the table saw than inserting plugs. Hearing protection is important. I know many men who say they don't need it because the loud noises don't hurt. False concept.

Frank great to see you post , fully agree with you on the noise factor.
Dont know why but for some reason your post triggered a memory worth sharing for those who have radios in their ear muffs.

During my stint in signal corps, one of our guys that had a task of monitoring and searching for radio signals and then listening and recording them, actually lost his hearing. The closed ear muffs and constant noise wrecked his hearing. I keep thinking of him when i see so many these days perpetually with earbuds or muffs with radio like landscape guys etc. Dont think our ears were designed to be perpetually bombarded with sound pressure to the extent it happens today.

Dont think our ears were designed to be perpetually bombarded with sound pressure to the extent it happens today.

Rob, completely agree. Back when I was still attending period correct (pre-1830) rendezvous and primitive hunting I would be a week or more without hearing a single 'modern' sound. When I would get home afterwards I constant complained to my family that they were shouting and the TV was turned way too high. There may have been some advantages to living in a cave. BTW, as I mentioned in my book. ;-)

Rob, completely agree. Back when I was still attending period correct (pre-1830) rendezvous and primitive hunting I would be a week or more without hearing a single 'modern' sound. When I would get home afterwards I constant complained to my family that they were shouting and the TV was turned way too high. There may have been some advantages to living in a cave. BTW, as I mentioned in my book. ;-)

Strong agreement. I don't think most people realize how much the continuous background noise raises our baseline stress levels. I'm actually kind of a fan of power outages :)

I ordered the first mentioned muffs, as they were no where near as expensive as I expected. Seen some non electronic ones cheap as well. Wondering if there are any disadvantages of the one verses the others, as I figure I could keep a pair of non electronic ones in the vehicle for other things. (working around air compressor, etc)

I ordered the first mentioned muffs, as they were no where near as expensive as I expected. Seen some non electronic ones cheap as well. Wondering if there are any disadvantages of the one verses the others, as I figure I could keep a pair of non electronic ones in the vehicle for other things. (working around air compressor, etc)

Mostly decibel ratings would be the difference. I use mine for around the shop as well, being able to hear with them on usually gets me to just leave them on when I'm working with tools off/on. There is also a 3.5 male to male cable that comes with them, which will let you plugin a phone or music player. I actually have a bluetooth receiver attached to mine with a 6" patch cable, then just zip tied the receiver onto the top band (see: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?32927-Bluetooth-hearing-protection)

One tip, when you take them off, put a folded up paper towel or rag between them, any sweat will make the pads stick together, not that it's a problem, mostly just an annoyance to peal them apart after the sweat dries.