Faux Mantle/Shelf Thingy

So after building a kitchen for this customer they wanted me to do some more work: a faux mantle in cherry. Because of its length I made it in 3 pieces.

The 6" drop front is mitered to the top. That turned out to be a little tricky. The jig I made to keep it square to the top didn't work as planned. I had to rip off the edge and retry. The second attempt went well, and the angle between the three pieces was very uniform. A little sanding, stain, and lacquer and viola.

The installation was not too finicky. I made the cutouts to fit around the "chimney" at the shop. Another happy customer, and I learned something along the way.

Attachments

• 20211011_105803.jpg
    20211011_105803.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211011_105741.jpg
    20211011_105741.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 29
Looks great and I appreciate the effort to get a good miter :thumb: Just out of curiosity, is this a closed off old fireplace that has become the TV alcove? Is the faux mantle designed to sit on? It seems low enough and inviting?

No, I don't think it was ever a functioning fireplace. I believe they just built it on a regular wall. It's not designed to sit on, but the installation brackets could actually hold the wait. I have a feeling their 4 year old son might not be able to resist turning it into a perch. :D