Finally! The Tools Are Here! Time to Set Up Shop

Thanks for the progress report! Makes me wish I could drop in next week, on my way to points East. But that first day out (and last day back) will be the longest-mile days of the whole trip as-is. Maybe I can plan better next year...

Tom, I'm pretty sure I'll start easy and work my way back up to hollow forms. It's been 5 or 6 years since I drove a lathe, so I figure I should start slow, lol.

Kerry, you're welcome anytime. :thumb: We could probably even arrange for a warm shower and a bed if you needed to overnight on your way through.

I completed a big milestone tonight...I got all the galvanized pipe air lines assembled and hung, and leak testing has commenced. I'm not hearing any obvious hissing sounds, but I'll leave it sitting overnight with 135 psi in the system, and I'll see tomorrow how much bleeding there is. In addition to the 10' of 3/4" line I mentioned earlier (which actually ended up being about 12'), I also ran a branch of 1/2" line to an overhead hose reel the previous owners left behind. With the amount of pipe I have in the system and the number of fittings involved, I'll be highly surprised if there's not a slight bit of leaking. In my last shop the system would slowly bleed enough air that the compressor would kick in about once a day to top off the tank. Aside from that, the only things I need to finish the air system are a swivel fitting for the hookup to the overhead hose reel, and 3' of 1/2 pipe to run a moisture drain line to a location that's easier to access. It'll probably take me longer to find those two things at Lowe's tomorrow than it will to install them.

OK, twenty three posts in this thread and I have yet to see a photo, diagram or 'back-of-a-bar-napkin' rendering of this space. Your hope that this thread would motivate you to document the process seems to be failing. Don't make me come kidnap one of your favorite guitars :D. I can see it now:

kidnap bc rich.jpg

I realize now that you may not even have a BC Rich :(

OK, twenty three posts in this thread and I have yet to see a photo, diagram or 'back-of-a-bar-napkin' rendering of this space. Your hope that this thread would motivate you to document the process seems to be failing. Don't make me come kidnap one of your favorite guitars :D. I can see it now:

View attachment 104085

I realize now that you may not even have a BC Rich :(

:rofl::coolphotos::rofl::rofl:

I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my shop for 3-1/2 years.

Glad to see you finally got it back.

Can't wait to see the pics

Even pics of a mess would be good - otherwise - I don't really believe you.

Slow and steady wins the race. After all the heavy lifting, packing, storing, moving, unpacking and sorting, it must be really nice to finally have the chance to put together another shop. It's a good thing you had music therapy to help bridge the gap. Love to see some pictures, specially that monster compressor and pipe system.