Finger joint jig - time for a redo

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
My finger joint jig was beginning to show some wear as well as some limitations. I originally made the jig to make Greene style joints on urns. It did not need to be too tall or long for that. However, the size was proving to be a limiting factor for other work. The sacrificial backboard was 1/4” MDF and proved not to be deep enough to clear some of my bits.

The newest incarnation is about twice the size of the original. This allows me to clamp larger parts without having to run them past the edge of the workbench.

I did upgrade the backer to 1/2” MDF. One thing I will change the next time I need to use the jig is to cut off the top 2” of the backer and then more permanently mount it to the lower portion of the jig leaving a 2” gap at the top. Then, each time I need a fresh backer I can just set in a 2” strip of MDF rather than replace the entire thing.

I use a T track to hold corian fingers. They mill easily, wear very well, and won’t damage my cutters should I do something stupid.

Here’s the old and the new.

85add0d579998a3f8c06f864c48e8d5c.jpg

5bf7fe8d03e12040f83bd256fd3dc83f.jpg

efe6449009b36226ffd3758c9230b822.jpg

The new jig starts with a laminated sandwich of three pieces of 3/4” ply. Once glued up I joint one edge then square everything up on the table saw.

d8fbcde0de8593e7161b6c4d73971ce1.jpg

A dado blade is used to make the grove for the T track.

ac1e5373591c1264f5ec734d6ac10bfa.jpg

The finished jig. It works!

ab7389916b0dec6cc67cc015990cc2ac.jpg

I enjoy the improvements that go along with any jig-version-2. Thanks for the nice show and tell. Backer boards are now 1/2" or 3/4"?

Last edited:
It is a nice looking jig. I assume it will cut only one board at a time. How difficult would it be to change it to cut 4 boards at once?

It actually cuts both sides of the joint (2 boards) at the same time, since the fingers do double duty by exposing the areas to be cut on each board and provide the spacing for each of the fingers. To do a four sided box the jig requires only one set up and 4 clamp ups (is that a phrase?). So long as you keep your orientation right - always register the same end of the box and make sure both of the boards are either face in or face out - everything comes out right.

Rennie have u ever considered getting a you tube channel going to help your etsy listings?

The other thought that occurred to me reading this post is how the likes of the hobby cnc machines can play into woodworking with regards to cutting out templates to use for hand routing.

Rennie have u ever considered getting a you tube channel going to help your etsy listings?

The other thought that occurred to me reading this post is how the likes of the hobby cnc machines can play into woodworking with regards to cutting out templates to use for hand routing.

Yes, I have considered a YouTube channel. Been on my mind for a while. Maybe I’ll get on the phone with our own YouTube star, Art Muldar and learn how it’s done.

This project, the G&G speaker cabinets, has demonstrated just how useful a CNC machine can be in a small shop. It really has me thinking. 80% of this project could be done on CNC. The traditionalist in me is a little repulsed by the idea, but when I opened the package from Leo and saw what a great job he did on those grills it really opened my eyes.

I dont think we should see cnc any different to a jointer or even table saw.

its just another tool. all it is in my view is something to enhance productivity and add capability.

if we going to get hung up on tradition the question is where is the defining line in tradition

does it go back to hand tools only?

if so then are steel hand tools out as well thinking here of our forefathers making use of a wooden plane and the apprentice making his own wooden plane and tools to become a journeyman.

So where is the line? They never had electricity.

But if you use a router why are you using it?

Productivity i would argue. And the template is to ensure accuracy and control so whats the big deal on taking it a step further.

Thats all i see in CNC.

I still am not a fan of CNC carving.

Take the artistic capabilities of Toni and his carvings I still feel thats real art where a cnc carved item is well fake art to me at least.

Its a interesting point to ponder because take an Artist like Dave. I have a copy print of one of his paintings. If there had not been a copy i would not have the joy of the painting. The original would be out my price range for art.

So maybe a cnc copy of Tonis work would be more affordable than the original?

The issue also i guess is were you to knock out clocks by the hundred using a cnc then would they have the value they do being handmade?

Could be a slippery slope but could also allow for adding or making things that are not feasible by hand.

I have recently cut a piece of MDf that previously i cut using a router by hand. Furthest thing from art. But the hand cut out version was nowhere near as good a solution and i took extreme care with that to get uniformity.

So i come back to fit for purpose. And just another tool to achieve an end.

I don't think we should see cnc any different to a jointer or even table saw.

its just another tool. all it is in my view is something to enhance productivity and add capability.

if we going to get hung up on tradition the question is where is the defining line in tradition

For me, at least, the router, table saw, and all the like differ from the CNC in that they are all guided by hand and take a certain amount of experience, skill, and motor coordination to complete each task.

I guess the same could be said about sitting at a keyboard and learning an application, but I think that might be pushing it a little.

Nevertheless, this recent project, and Leo's fine work, have me thinking and perusing websites looking at machinery. Not that any of it is in my budget! :rofl:

I dont think we should see cnc any different to a jointer or even table saw.

its just another tool. all it is in my view is something to enhance productivity and add capability. ...

A CNC has its place in a shop, if one chooses to have one. But, one needs to analyze the total time involved in performing an operation one way versus another.

For instance, a project I'm working on now (along with umpteen other tasks) involves doors that require rails with a radius. One would think that would be ideal for a CNC, but when I looked at my options, I chose to cut a marking gauge with my CNC, use it to mark the work pieces, and bandsaw the curves.