Finished a workbench

Rick Prosser

It has taken literally years to finally finish up a workbench project. I glued up the top quite a while back, and other priorities always pushed out the completion. Was able to get things together and use the Labor Day weekend and this weekend to mostly finish things up.
This is based off of a Jay Bates design, but with a split top. At the time, I only had 4 ft boards to use, so the bench is shorter that normal, but I can use this to get a feel for how a bench in the future might be designed (if needed). The bench material is Southern Yellow pine, and the vice is made from Black Jack oak. (All wood from the property). The vise was a DIY project using house level (for threads), a turned hub, and metal washer to hold it together. The legs and frame are very beefy for added weight and stability.

The bench is for hand tool work, but I used power tools except for chopping out the mortises.

bench.jpg

Any bench is a lot nicer than no bench, heavy bench is better than light bench! Looks like you have at least two of the main elements nailed down with this one! I reckon you'll be really happy having it.