First dose of covid vaccine today

Did I say, it might be a while before I become eligible? Let me amend that to an extremely long time. I believe I am future phases. Depressing.

Heh, Oregon doesn't even have a plan past Phase 1 which is basically critical healthcare workers. So based on that my guess is that I'll be lucky to be even on the list before next year.

We're pushing about 11 months since we've been anywhere other than the house or the garden space so I just might never leave the house again. I dunno.

I won't be getting it until they find out what is causing some folks with allergies (and I'm not talking spring time pollen) to go into anaphylactic shock. I'm allergic to penicillin and had very adverse, rare reactions to statins. No thanks. I don't want to be on the 5pm news from flopping around like a fish out of water. I'm hoping herd mentality will get enough people vaccinated that my risk will go down significantly. In the mean time, I'm in a wait and see mode and practicing all the recommended guidelines. I hope everyone who wants one now, will be able to get it soon.

percentages of reactions that required people to go to hospitals , is very very rare, and numbers wise, next to nothing.

be safe. just because I got the shot, doesnt mean I will go into public with no masks, or not be careful with keeping my distance. My son was over last night to fix my computer, he wont come into my home without keeping his mask on since him and his wife still go outside of the home to work. within 2 months, everyone in my immediate family except my son will have had the vaccine second dose.
Im hoping I can get together a bit more with my immediate family after that......maybe even travel by car a bit. lockdown is not agreeing with me...bigtime....

Well I was gonna see about gettng on the list but I guess it's a mute point now... :oops:

Not necessarily, there's some good evidence that the vaccine triggers more antibody protection than actually being infected (due to it targeting different immune cell activity). So keep a line to your doc and it may well be they still recommend it.

Hoping for an easy go and good outcome here!

i did a bit more looking around, and my decision to hold off got a bit more reinforced. so far, 55 deaths in the us, with one being a doctor in south florida, perfectly healthy, developed a blood disorder within days, and kicked. also, the 29 deaths in norway didn't make it any better. almost all of them were the vaccine from pfizer.

I don't know about taking the vaccine.....look at these results.

View attachment 114543
Getting a bit off topic here (like that's the first time it's ever happened on this forum, lol), but do you recall the dinner scene in that movie where Beetlejuice sends a man and his wife through the ceiling? The man was Robert Goulet and his wife was Maree Cheatham. I sold my first house in LA to Maree and have stayed in touch with her since then. She's a very sweet and down to earth person, and has a long resume of TV and movie appearances.

i did a bit more looking around, and my decision to hold off got a bit more reinforced. so far, 55 deaths in the us, with one being a doctor in south florida, perfectly healthy, developed a blood disorder within days, and kicked. also, the 29 deaths in norway didn't make it any better. almost all of them were the vaccine from pfizer.

no drug on earth is perfect. this is how I look at it...me....someone who has not gotten a vaccine my entire adult life due to auto immune disease and my treatment.

in my age bracket, with 3 out of the 4 serious comorbidities, if I get covid, theres statistically something like a 2-3 percent chance it will kill me....much larger chance it will damage my lungs forever.

with the vaccine, yes there is still a 5 Percent chance I get covid, but reducing my chances 95% and knowing that vaccine deaths are 00001% chance, Ill go with the numbers.

Good news for me. Washington State has modified its Phase B1, lowering the age requirement from 70+ to 65+. I am now eligible. Of course there currently is no vaccines available for Phase B1 in my immediate area. So we will be waiting until the shipments arrive. My wife tried calling the nearest available facility with Phase B1 allotment of the vaccine, a hospital about an hour South of us, but could not get through to make an appointment. I would prefer our local medical provider anyway.

Got the shot yesterday. Had a friend call last Thursday and relayed a phone number at hospital to made appointment. Got through in 30 minutes and made appointment for 9am Tuesday. Arrived a few minutes early and got right in shot administrated then 15 minute cool down period and done. In at 8:45 0ut at 9:05. Whooopee, I was concerned long lines, out of vaccine or some other problem. Not a problem. Arm just a tad sore but no worse then flu shot. Good to go.
David

I probably would not have gotten the shot if it wasn't for my wife.... I don't really fear the covid anymore than any other flu, but my wife does and it gives her a little peace of mind. I told her that I had hoped I woke up dead the day after I got it so I could have told her "I told you so"! I also think I would get the shot as a test for it,,,, test us old folks to help determine if it is safe for the youngsters when it comes their time to get it.... I am such a hero...:sneaky:

I don't really fear the covid anymore than any other flu,

I dunno, all the numbers I've seen that seem valid is that the chance of a bad outcome is around 10x worse than the "common" flu . Of the handful of folks I know who've gotten it some weren't to bad but others had it pretty rough for weeks and some are months later and still not even close to recovered,

The last time I had the flu I was sick for two weeks and spent four days with a fever high enough I was full on hallucinating and sweating so much that even though loml was pouring liquids into me I didn't need to pee. Took me a solid year to get my wind back as well (or at least took me a year so I didn't notice it.. maybe it just never fully came back and I got used to it.. not sure). So the "just the common flu" story makes me think maybe folks are somehow misremembering how bad an actual bad dose of the flu can be, it ain't the winter sniffles I'll tell you that much!

If a quick shot and a day of feeling mildly achy afterwards would've bypassed that I'd be all for it much less something worse (and yes I did get the flu shot that year but it was a year they guessed wrong and it only had a 40 some percent success rate so I ended up on the unlucky side).