First Fire Today???

We’ve had some lows in the mid 30s all week in our little valley, which is always about 10* lower than predicted for the low. It’s about time to fire up the outdoor wood boiler, but would like to hold off a month or so.

We have a little electric fireplace we run with heat in the evenings to keep the chill off.

Grandpa has his personal space heater, so that he doesn’t burn us out of the house. He’d have the thermostat at 85 - 90 if we weren’t in there, and still have a blanket and heater blowing on him. ;)

It’s definitely getting to be that time of year. 🔥

At 10:30 here it is 54 degrees with no sun and not getting warmer. It's 62 in the house and looking at mid 40's nighttime temps.

I want to try a full year without turning on the heat (heatpump - oil heat) in the house.
In my shop it's electric or Propane, so not much choice there.

I have a fire burning - just scrapwood from the shop - no real firewood yet, that would be too much heat.

If we were to warm up into the high 60's or low 70's in the daytime I would not need heat. The sun would warm the house enough.

With no sun, high humidity and no warmer than 55 - I need a little something. The woodstove is doing just fine.

Finally getting cool enough overnight here to open up the windows. Mid 50's middle of the night, but pushing 90 tomorrow! Tomatoes and peppers still coming in strong.

I’ve built a small wood fire three mornings this week to take the chill off if we were not leaving the house for the day. There has been no night frost here yet, but this morning was just a degree or two above. It’s been sunny and 12-15C every day, a temperature that really agrees with me!