First Kumiko

Looks real good. I was just investigating this art today. I really think it would be a fun, and rewarding project. So many fun projects so little time left....

What kind of glue do you use. CA? On putting together a very ornate clock, my current project, I have been using Titebond, "Quick and Thick". I have found I like it better than the same type of Weldbond. Not for high stress joints like in furniture, but great for what I am doing. With they type of gluing of Kumiko, It appears most joints are end grain.What works best for that?

Last edited:
Looks real good. I was just investigating this art today. I really think it would be a fun, and rewarding project. So many fun projects so little time left....

What kind of glue do you use. CA? On putting together a very ornate clock, my current project, I have been using Titebond, "Quick and Thick". I have found I like it better than the same type of Weldbond. Not for high stress joints like in furniture, but great for what I am doing. With they type of gluing of Kumiko, It appears most joints are end grain.What works best for that?

Thanks Paul
I didn't glue this one, it's just a friction fit. I like the idea of the thick and guick though.

Thanks Paul
I didn't glue this one, it's just a friction fit. I like the idea of the thick and guick though.

Is that the way they are suppose to work, no glue? I didn't get to that when watching videos, just assumed they were glued. But thinking about it, that would be part of the art/craftsmanship. So precise, no glue needed. I could see mine, I'd put it together, set it some were, jar it or something and it would fly apart like a mouse trap going off. I'd look like a porcupine with all those sticks stuck in my face!!

Is that the way they are suppose to work, no glue?

Generally that seems to be the goal, it seems like if you were wanting it to survive for a while in the wild though a bit of something tacked in there would be wise :) Maybe a drop of medium CA on the back of each joint (assuming there's a front)? I think part of the charm is the crisp "woodiness" of them, so you'd definitely want to avoid anything that might cause glue splotch.