First steps to catch up to Dave Hoskins...

Chuck Ellis

I finally got a picture of this bowl that I've started.... it's still in the process of being finished... sitting on my paint points with 2 coats of SS and first coat of Polyurethane....
The bowl is about 11" diameter by 3" high (about 2 1/2" deep)...woods are spectraply, black limba, aspen and I think a piece of cherry....
1006201634c.jpg
I glued up the block to cut for pepper mills, but decided to try my hand at a segmented bowl...
These two are from the corners of another block glued up for pepper mill... I cut two blanks out of the center, then glued the corners back together... the new block was big enough to cut two blanks for small bowls... these are about 6" dia by 3" high... again about 2 1/2" deep.
1006201634d.jpg
The woods are spectra ply, Aspen, black limba and bloodwood. Also in process of being finished with my normal finish, sanding sealer and polyurethane.
Then I had the corners of the blank where I cut the circular blank that I cut into bottle stopper blanks...
1006201634b.jpg 1006201635.jpg

Alright!!! That is good stuff you got going there. Are you saying I gotta start segmenting again??? huh?huh?huh?
Thought I would give you one more... been playing with segmented rings and put this together a couple days ago and turned it out today... about 8" dia, not sure how tall but not much over 6 inches.... I did a quickie finish on it, just my version of Yorkshire grit.... mineral oil, beeswax, and DE, rubbed in at high speed.
1008202039a.jpg 1008202039c.jpg
Top rim is bloodwood and purple heart, body is variety of woods I had laying about, maple, spalted beech and not sure what else... bottom is Walnut.
I'm still learning about cutting the segments for the rings and have a couple of glue lines showing and there's one joint under the top ring that you can actually see through... didn't see that in time to fix it. I told Dianne this was going to be my "what-not" bowl.... "What-not" to do next time.

Thanks guys, I've got to work on getting my segmented rings a little more accurate... there's a couple of glue lines in the one above that I can see... plus a couple of joints that aren't as tight as should be... my table saw is a cheapo so it's not as accurate as some of the pros... it was fun to do and need to improve techniques some more.... Wife claimed this one, but has ordered a bigger version for a wedding gift for the granddaughter... fortunately I have until June to get it right.

I get it on the ring thing. I played with that the other day and being the first time doing that was pretty much an unrecoverable disaster. But, me will try again. I'm gonna start playing with the segmenting again in a day or two. Need to get a few more stock items done first. Gotta take care of the bread and butter items before playtime.