Flies...

I've noticed for some time now (like forever), that certain power tools seem to have a very strong attraction effect on some flies. Today I was using a 4" grinder (HF), an orbital sander (Bosch) and another 4" grinder (DeWalt). When I would turn them on one-several large flies wold immediately come and try to light on the grinder. I was using a wire wheel on the HF grinder and they were hitting the wheel one after another Probably 6 - 7 of them. I don't ever see those flies any other time but when I'm doing that. In the past I remember those big black horseflies doing the same thing.

Just wondering if anyone else is drawing flies...

Alan

I have a circ saw that does that. I was using it outside, and every time I started cutting it would be covered with house flies. I don't remember that happening with other tools, but that saw sure draws them in.

This time of year, although the season is about over, we have May flies which in most areas are called deer flies. They eat human flesh with relish. Off, Deet and all the other insect repellents are just salad dressing.

In my case they eat the flesh from my elbows while I am pushing the mower, using the edger, string trimmer, or while I am hoeing the garden Occasionally they will take a bite from one of my ears but they don't seem to find my ears all that palatable. Besides that is where the mosquitoes like to feast.

When it is as hot as it is these bites in conjunction with the fact that I am on a blood thinner result in free flowing blood streaming down my forearms and dripping from my ear lobes.. Invariably I have to come in and soak my clothing which the blood has spotted with hydrogen peroxide.

Soon the Mayflies will be gone and we can return to the normalcy of giant mosquitoes which sexually harass the Canada geese.

1655134065216.png 1655134102860.png

Note the drill on the proboscis of the baby mosquito in hand.

Last edited:
This time of year, although the season is about over, we have May flies which in most areas are called deer flies. They eat human flesh with relish. Off, Deet and all the other insect repellents are just salad dressing...
I worked one summer on a construction project at a ski resort in southeastern Arizona. For about a month the deer flies were out with a vengeance. I was an inspector on the job, so I spent my days doing a lot of driving up and down the mountain. (We had one project at the base and another on top of one of the peaks.) The deer flies were so thick I had to empty the air cleaner on my little Bronco II just about every day. And yes, they were flesh-eating sons of guns.

Those giant mosquitoes you mentioned are called crane flies, or mosquito hawks, or skeeter eaters around here. As the name implies, they eat mosquitoes, so they're welcome in my yard anytime. :thumb: