Fly traps

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
We were having a pretty bad fly problem this spring as it got warmer out. So I ordered some of these outdoor fly traps that you put the bait in and let it get to stinking good (and they do). You do have to add water as they fill up

It’s been about a month and both are nearly full.
2EF9F733-B83C-4B31-8CE2-ED74609C3D63.jpegA647EE4C-734F-4DA1-A6B2-E6775D757AB3.jpeg

They say they are reusable, but that ain’t gonna happen, these will get doubled bagged and set out with the trash. ;)

I would recommend them, we’ve seen very few flies lately, none in the house.

They say they are reusable, but that ain’t gonna happen, these will get doubled bagged and set out with the trash

On the flip side, you don't have to bait them again if you do reuse them, just leave some of the . uh.. slurry.. in the container and the flies looove it.

Takes more than a bit of a strong stomach though.

And it's worth putting them a ways away from where you might want to sit with a summer cocktail (learned THAT one the hard way.. ugh..).

These are the ones I'm currently using (bought from the local feed store) but they work about the same

The other thing we found that reduced flies if you have manure piles or compost or similar is introducing "black soldier fly's". It would seem counter-intuitive to add flies to remove flies.. But the BSF's aren't interested in going into the house, the adults don't eat at all (they're not capable of it), the larva actually eat other flies eggs/larva. They do make the cucumber in the compost pile look a bit like a nightmare though.

Not much problem with flies so far... the neighbor has moved his cows out of the pasture next door, plus we've had a lot of wind and rain the past few weeks, so not much problem there either... The fire flies (or as we called them in Texas when I was young, Lightning Bugs) are pretty spectacular in the front yard though.

Not much problem with flies so far... the neighbor has moved his cows out of the pasture next door, plus we've had a lot of wind and rain the past few weeks, so not much problem there either... The fire flies (or as we called them in Texas when I was young, Lightning Bugs) are pretty spectacular in the front yard though.
Ours here in the creek valley have been pretty cool to watch too. I sit outside with the cat watching them just about every night.

Darren, if you are going to throw the entire thing away, you need to buy this instead. https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Outdoor-Hanging-Catcher-Indoors/dp/B09PZR3C2Y/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=27Y40K428MVTX&keywords=disposable+fly+trap&qid=1652971358&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=dispo,lawngarden,151&sr=1-1-spons&th=1

4 for less than you gave for the 2. Don't let them be where a cat can get to them. Smells like rotten meat to them and they will tear it open!
Yeah, I'm open to trying others, this one seemed to work and is quite large. The bait packet smelled like ground up fish food flakes, but unsure if they put an insecticide in it as well or not.

It's not just the cat we need to worry about. I haven't seen any bears yet on the farm, but seen evidence of one around and neighbors have spotted them. ;)

Yeah, I'm open to trying others, this one seemed to work and is quite large. The bait packet smelled like ground up fish food flakes, but unsure if they put an insecticide in it as well or not.

It's not just the cat we need to worry about. I haven't seen any bears yet on the farm, but seen evidence of one around and neighbors have spotted them. ;)

Didn't realize you were in bear country. I am sure that is a wonderful attraction to bears. But yes, have 5 or 6 in each barn and they fill regularly!

I'll look for some of those. Looks like they work great. I have to hang some Japanese beetle traps for the wife today.

Early for us to worry about Japanese beetles, carpenter bees are humming right now. The fly traps are excellent, just when opening the bait, wear rubber gloves or be extremely careful OR have a grandkid do it! :ROFLMAO: Right before lunch really enforces the lesson!:eek: As helpful as the older ones are, they. never ask to help with setting up the fly traps anymore. hmmmm, wonder why???:dunno::devilish::LOL::cool: