Foggy evening

Love a good fog, the way sound carries in it is so cool. I've never seen firefly's but can imagine they'd rock in it as well!
That is the strange thing here, the normal bull frog croaking, deers squawking, and even coyote howls just aren’t happening, a few tree frogs and crickets is all I’m hearing. Kind of unsettling actually. ;)

The fireflies up at our place in kc we’re out about dusk and for a half hour, then done. Here they are out all night long, especially in the wooded areas. I know there is a place in Tennessee or Kentucky they flock to to see the firefly shows a few weeks a year. I’d imagine there is an event of them here time to time, just going to have to keep watching and figure out when that is.

Darren those are great shots. Fireflies haven't shown uphere yet this season. Love to watch the show. Number of years ago a friend from the dry state of New Mexico visited and was totally into watching them. At first he thought they were headlights from the freeway showing through the trees. Didn't believe me for awhile till we caught a few and placed in jar to watch. Of course they were released unharmed.
David

We've had a bit of fog early mornings lately. But, not at night. Well, not while I'm still up that is. The fireflies here seem to go for a couple of hours and then are gone. But the whippoorwills. owls, coyotes and everybody else speaks there mind all night long it seems.

Great photos, Darren. :thumb: They look like a backdrop for a good slasher movie. :D

I've only seen fireflies once, and it was years ago when I was a kid. One summer when we were living on a small ranch north of Santa Fe we had a bunch of them for a couple of weeks around the pond and in the alfalfa fields. Never saw them again after that summer.

The field behind my previous home in NY State had so many fireflies on those "special nights" when the temperature and humidity were just right, that it looked like blue-green ocean waves of constant but twinkling light all the way across the field. We frequently watched them from the fence line until the early hours of morning. Of course, my kids had to capture as many as possible and put them in jars, but I made them release all of them the next night. I explained to the kids that one night was OK, but keeping them longer would kill them, and once released, they could capture new ones for an over night stay in the jar the next night. It went well, and helped teach them an appreciation of the wild. Here, we have them on the lawn between the house and the lake, but their numbers are less than about 10% of what existed in that field in NY State.

Charley