Footboard/Headboard wood arrangement

Aaron Beaver

I am building a bed out of walnut and I know some are very opposed to using walnut sapwood in a walnut project, but if you don't mind sapwood, what do you think of this mock up that I did for the footboard and headboard?
1633825197048.png

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Image-1.jpeg
    Image-1.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 26
Nothing wrong with using the sapwood, I think it provides a nice look. I prefer the arrangement on the left...but it's all a matter of personal taste.

As others have said - sapwood looks good, in balance. I think that, because the contrast between heartwood and sapwood is so stark, balance determines its use and, ultimately, its attractiveness.

I don't do any flat work, just turnings, but love it when the piece has some sap wood in it.... I do like the lay out on the second picture better... more balance. Beautiful wood and looking forward to seeing the final product.

Another sapwood user here. There are different styles that benefit more and less from sapwood. The stark contrast you have could look more at home in a rustic styled piece than in the more traditional style of your drawing IMHO.
sapwood table-1-1.jpg
Material with less contrast and shape independence can lend a more elegant look; again JMHO.
sapwood table-2.jpg
That being said, our own style should come out in our work and stretching boundaries is part of that.

You can also tone the sapwood as part of your finishing schedule to reduce the color differences. Peter Gedrys has a good discussion here. It discusses concealing sapwood but, variations are easy enough. Unfortunately that is a FWW member's link and so I apologize if that is not be helpful.