For you CNC guys

Hmmm . . . .

So, I pledge $1890 and for my support and will receive $1040 off the retail price, huh?

$2890 retail
-$1040 off
$1890 new price
+$1890 pledge
$3780 total investment

Yeah, that's what I'd do!!! :doh:

It's an interesting idea.... I have some doubts about it's practically in practice as a general purpose kind of thing. Sort of reminds me of the picture of the guy sitting on the limb while cutting it off.

Thanks for passing it along though, neat to see what crazy ideas folks are coming up with.

Very interesting concept, thanks for posting Charles. I have to agree with Ryan, lots of variables and one has to add into material costs of the waste where the machine will need to be positioned to move.

I had looked at building a cnc that could be portable and placed on existing objects, such as floors to cut medallions and such for inlays into the floor. Shopbot came out with the Handibot (https://handibot.com/) a couple of years back. It would have limitations for amount of cutting it could do at once, but add in a indexing system one could work large areas one smaller section at a time.

Pretty cool idea, But I wonder how it deals with issues like chips getting in the way causing the whole thing to tilt, slightly, or affect the grip. It certainly has some potential.

I could see if they had it some how hooked up to a vacuum to extract the chips and provide additional 'grip' via suction. Not sure I want to be a beta tester for it, but more power to them.

Hmmm . . . .

So, I pledge $1890 and for my support and will receive $1040 off the retail price, huh?

$2890 retail
-$1040 off
$1890 new price
+$1890 pledge
$3780 total investment

Yeah, that's what I'd do!!! :doh:

That must be the Friends and Families deal. :D

No reason to apologize. No reflection on you - just thought it comical how they have the pledge levels set up. I might be missing something, though.

Pretty neat idea but I'm not ready to send in my cash just yet! lol - Bill, I believe it is set up so that your pledge is the purchase of a machine and that's why your amount pledged is equal to the retail price minus the discount claimed.

Pretty neat idea but I'm not ready to send in my cash just yet! lol - Bill, I believe it is set up so that your pledge is the purchase of a machine and that's why your amount pledged is equal to the retail price minus the discount claimed.

Could be. If that's the case, it works out that the less you pledge, the cheaper your cost.

So if i understood correctly, the wheels have to roll on an even surface.
Meaning you have to cut from material where the width of the material being cut has to be wide enough to accommodate having the wheels run on you edge limiting how much of the material gets used versus wasted, OR you have to build up the edge to be at same level of surface of material and if not done properly then the cut edge angle will be all over the place.

Cool idea like to see more details rather than images of lockers , ceilings , or scenes of makers riding a skateboard or stroking a surfboard.

But hey they have a million in backing already of only 100k asking goal. Amazing so maybe we got something wrong.

Could be. If that's the case, it works out that the less you pledge, the cheaper your cost.
It also works out that the earlier you pledge the less you pay.

I think the machine has applications if your work involves quantities of relatively light duty work on big workpieces from big panels.

Interested to know how quality stands up when those very clever wheels are rolling over a previous cut or the chips from one.
Can see a need for careful planning if your program results in "freeing" parts of the panel you are cutting on.
Also wildly impractical if your cnc workload is lots of little intricate pieces.

Probably a useful niche machine for some kinds of work in some situations. Not for me.