French Rolling pin

I have a commercial maple one, but yours looks a lot nicer :) Nice job on getting the curve nice and even (y)

I've been kind of wanting one of the Italian style flat long (usually 1.75" x 30-40" +-) style pins for doing sheet pasta. I might have to take a break from other projects for a little lathe time one of these days.

Do you know why French rolling pins are designed like that

:lurk:

I've been able to use the taper for rolling small thin pasta rounds from little dough balls (like for Mezzelune) and because it works somewhat like a rounded belt roller the differential grab will actually rotate the small pieces of pasta under the pun so you can roll the whole thing pretty much by just adjusting pressure location and going back & forth quite quickly. It's kind of a neat party trick anyway. When I'm going quickly I can roll them about as fast as most people can stuff and fold them.

First one l made,my wife likes it so I will make another one.

By the way I guess I never really studied the shape of a French rolling pin but after seeing your excellent example I did a little research into that shape. What a great design that certainly lends itself to skew work. If the skew is sharp and in control it should leave a finish on a shape like that without much need for sanding depending on the timber.

I made rolling pins for Christmas for the women in my life and my wife's friends a number of years ago. (I was chastised by several of the husbands for providing disciplinary tools to their wives. I guess women use rolling pins more to get a man's attention these days than to roll out dough. :ROFLMAO: Of course they were a traditional shape. I finished them with my mixture of mineral oil and beeswax. Haven't tried butcher block oil but it sure must leave a nice finish based upon your pictures.

OK, as I learned when looking up the French rolling pin before turning one: In France many of the bakery shops have their main baker working in an open window facing the street. These bakers become, in a sense, showmen and like to entertain passers-by. The shape of their rolling pin allows them to spin it and do other entertaining moves. Nothing practical, just for fun. Incidentally, my wife likes hers but has never used it.