Friday 09JUL21

Bill Arnold

Staff member
Well, it's finally NOT raining around here, so got our lawn mowed Thursday!

Today, I'll do a bit in my shop before Bobbie and I drive to Boston as usual for the shrimp and catfish lunch.

Saturday will be shop time on my office cabinet/display unit.

Sunday should be our normal routine of me preparing brunch, then being lazy the remainder of the day watching the Wimbledon finals and some NASCAR.

Getting well is the goal. As said earlier had stet installed and went on Plavix. That created hives like crazy. Changed drugs but still broken out. Been on Benadryl now to combat the break out. So far not working. Doctor said it takes 5 days for Plavix to get out of your body. So just wait it out. Anyway everyone have a safe and healthy weekend. Hug your family.
David

We are getting a brush from Elsa overnight tonight, but the track is shifting westward, and they’re forecasting just 10-15mm of rain and winds maybe gusting to 60k, so it doesn’t look serious. The moisture will keep the pastures and crops going.
Small farm work, property maintenance and carpentry are on the agenda.
Have a good one👋

I'll be packing, more packing, more packing, and maybe some staging. I don't know yet if we're doing a moving sale or not. My wife was sick most of the week, so haven't made much progress there. I'm thinking we'll probably just be running some stuff to donate at this point and focusing on...well you know...packing. ;)

Getting well is the goal. As said earlier had stet installed and went on Plavix. That created hives like crazy. Changed drugs but still broken out. Been on Benadryl now to combat the break out. So far not working. Doctor said it takes 5 days for Plavix to get out of your body. So just wait it out. Anyway everyone have a safe and healthy weekend. Hug your family.
David
Hope you get to feeling better soon David. :wave:

Bumper crop of cucumbers is going to be turned into fermented half sour pickles and cucumber relish this weekend...yum!! Also need to freeze the blackberries that are flourishing inside the new bird free cage, and yard long beans might even make it into canned dilly beans. Also have okra for the first time and will give pickled okra a try. I grew it because of attractive foliage and it's supposed to be a trap crop for Japanese beetles, but so far it looks good. Any okra fans out there?
IMG_4947.jpeg,
IMG_4945.jpeg

I hope you feel better soon, David!

Getting ready today for our band's monthly gig at the Dragonhorn. This one will be a bit different, because our new guitarist/singer is out of the state for work, so we're playing tonight as a 3-piece for the first time. It's going to change the arrangement of some of the songs and I'm going to have to step up and actually sing some backup parts, but it should still be fun. As a bonus, we'll each also make a bit more money since it'll only be split 3 ways instead of the usual 4 ways.

Saturday I'm planning to drop by a nearby outdoor shooting range and get everything in place (instructor and insurance paperwork) so our club can have its first Range Day there next weekend. It's a nice facility, and due to the location it'll be about 10 degrees cooler than the range we usually shoot at.

That's the guitar and gun plans for the weekend...don't really have any shop time planned for now. That could change between now and then, though. ;)

Bumper crop of cucumbers is going to be turned into fermented half sour pickles and cucumber relish this weekend...yum!! Also need to freeze the blackberries that are flourishing inside the new bird free cage, and yard long beans might even make it into canned dilly beans. Also have okra for the first time and will give pickled okra a try. I grew it because of attractive foliage and it's supposed to be a trap crop for Japanese beetles, but so far it looks good. Any okra fans out there?
View attachment 117138,
View attachment 117139
Okra is good in any form I've had it. Down south we like it fried, but I use it in gumbo and some soups also!!

Okra is good in any form I've had it. Down south we like it fried, but I use it in gumbo and some soups also!!
I thought it tasted like slimy library paste until a close friend raised in North Carolina fried me up some and I loved it!! It was mighty tasty! It's supposed to be an essential ingredient in gumbo. I guess I better YouTube me a recipe!

I thought it tasted like slimy library paste until a close friend raised in North Carolina fried me up some and I loved it!! It was mighty tasty! It's supposed to be an essential ingredient in gumbo. I guess I better YouTube me a recipe!
My mother loved Okra in any form... she used to boil it with field peas (Purple Hulls) then dip it out of the pot 'cause no one else would eat it including my dad... then she served it breaded in cornmeal and fried one day and I thought it was a potato dish and scarfed up on it... have liked it fried ever since.
I've heard if you put a little vinegar in the water it doesn't get so slimy, but you can't make gumbo without it and I also like it in a good veggie soup.

First we had to deal with the Elsa rains which lasted most of the day Thursday.

Then Friday morning we had to deal with the humidity. I managed to locate my snow shovel so I could move some of the humidity out of the way in order to go to the shop.

Then Friday afternoon we had to deal with the post-Elsa thunderstorms which dropped more rain in a couple of hours than Elsa did here when she passed over.

Today's humidity is a curse word. That is all I have to say about that.

Cut grass on Friday..changed blades and cleaned the deck (n), boy was it bad.
Finished deck today..that is all.
Happy, happy Rennie, and Jan..enjoy your time! :)

I thought it tasted like slimy library paste until a close friend raised in North Carolina fried me up some and I loved it!!

We oven fry it to reduce the grease. Just line a shallow bread pan with foil, spray the foil with a bit of vegetable spray. Then cut up your okra into 1/2" or less pieces. Empty a package of your favorite cornbread muffin mix (We like the sweetness of Jiffy as a coating) into a bowl and dump the cut up okra into it. Stir it around until the okra has a light coating. Spread it out on the foil lined pan and cook it in the oven at 400 degrees until it gets a little crunchy. Doesn't hurt to stir it around during the cooking once or twice. Eat it while it is hot. Love it!