Friday 1-27 Last Friday in January

Don Baer

Staff member
So what's going on in your neck of the woods. I'll be doing some studying for my new Job. I am a volunteer service officer for my American Legion Post so I need to make sure I am up to date on the PACT act and various other aspect of VA benefits. Sunday will be church in the morning and in the afternoon I'll drop by the post to help clean up after our weekly Bingo fund raising event.

Last edited:
Enjoying another quick taste of Winter down here - got to freezing last night and forecast again tonight, then we'll be back to Spring-like weather.

Bobbie and I will do our Friday drive to Boston for lunch, of course. Kinda changed our menu a bit. She likes their beef patty/onions/gravy and fries. I'll have a Philly cheese steak with onion rings today. After lunch, it'll be nap time, then maybe a bit of shop cleanup.

Saturday will include pulling some cherry together for a small magazine rack for our kitchen wall. We need something to contain the various cookbooks, etc. And, there will be some football.

Sunday will start with our ritual of me preparing brunch, then just chillin' the remainder of the day.

Not too much planned here, daughter from Calif arriving in Chattanooga tonight late, driving over to GA to stay with here brother before they come over here on Saturday for lunch and visit... Sunday she's coming back to visit some more before she heads back to CHA to catch a plane to Tampa for a work event... don't know how long she'll be in Tampa, but will head directly back home from there.

Will need to make a run to Wally World today, Harley's nearly out of food and Dianne's running low on insulin.

Back at school today after a two hour delay today and no school on Wed. and Thurs.. Supposed to snow/rain today and tomorrow, then next week single digit highs again. So looks like Sunday Lou and I are moving another ton of cattle feed into the barn. This group of calves were supposed to be the grandkids bucket steers last year in 4H, they grew so big so fast they were over the 750 pound limit for that class. They were going to show them this year as Dairy Beef steers (fats) but they have grown so large so fast instead of feeding them through September I got lucky and got a slot for them to be processed in May. Shew, a good situation for us, not so for the grands so we are waiting until March to start looking and buying bucket calves this year. You all stay safe and healthy.

We have a few days of nicer weather so I'll do a couple of batches of collards to put in the freezer before warmer weather sets in and the plants start to bolt. Mature collards produce a bright yellow flower that attracts early spring pollinators.
Also will do some puttering in the shop, adding a few coats of Total Boat marine finish on some hiking sticks and working on a lathe turned lamp from some really spalted cherry I found on the log pile.
IMG_6343.jpeg ,IMG_6336.jpeg .IMG_8372.jpeg

No big plans for the weekend here until Sunday, which will be the monthly Range Day for my shooting club. Looks like we'll have a low turnout this month. I can't blame people for not wanting to come shoot...it'll be clear skies but pretty chilly this time of year.

Last edited:
Had to get going first thing this morning to get the semi annual MRI done to see if the kidneys are still holding the cancer at bay. Hopefully so. Some shop time over the weekend as well as a delivery of some pecan wood. Not a lot but a nice adequate amount. I got to pick what I wanted of this last tree yesterday. My buddy and his hired hand were going to load it and bring it tomorrow if all goes well on that side of the creek. Looks worm and other pesty bugs free.

It is, but almost too far gone/punky to get a decent finishing cut on. I've alredy put half a can of Minwax wood hardener on it hoping it will sand smooth...and it's still drying and cracking. Might be a wasted effort.
Have you doused it with thin ca? Stay out of the fumes both when dousing it as well as then when turning and sanding it. Once stabilized with thin CA I then go to a CA finish using med and thick. Beautiful work as always Ted.

Have you doused it with thin ca? Stay out of the fumes both when dousing it as well as then when turning and sanding it. Once stabilized with thin CA I then go to a CA finish using med and thick. Beautiful work as always Ted.
Lots of thin CA, immediately followed by medium in the big cracks. Between wood hardener and CA it's sand-able. It's still drying, so I need to let it sit and stabilize more.

Saturday son and family and daughter and family descend on us to finally celebrate
christmas. Nobody had the ability or time to all get togather before now. That's the way schedules work when you have 4 kids and 2 kids 100 miles apart and all the school and church doings. Oh well it will be good to see them all togather again.
Everyone have a safe and healthy weekend.
Go Chiefs !!!!!
David

It is, but almost too far gone/punky to get a decent finishing cut on. I've alredy put half a can of Minwax wood hardener on it hoping it will sand smooth...and it's still drying and cracking. Might be a wasted effort.
Remember, no wasted efforts in wood turning, only re-design possibilities.

Have turned a lot of punky wood, sanded relatively smooth and the pieces are usually grabbed up first time I show them.

Coming down the home stretch on the waiting area bench - It WILL be good to finish that and deliver it.

I have a few things for Rennie

I just picked up another residential sign - I will do a full video start to finish on this one.
The Thistle Cottage
Full 3D relief
Gonna be a fur job fer sure
I think I am going to create the 3D model from scratch

After that I have 3 more Letter banks to do