Friday 11Sep20

Remember this day. Where were you??
Doing a little shop work. Clean up the joint ( again) and just messing around and enjoying life. Temperatures today mid 60' s 80' s tomorrow. Ain't that nice.
Everyone have a safe and healthy weekend. Stay positive.
David

Received my shipment of Thermasheath 3 insulation yesterday and will start installing it in the new shop addition today. Then start the process of wiring the shop up and moving in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Worky work today. I'm trying to finish up the motorcycle rocker paint and assemble Also have a cnc project for my wife to do. Then have some drywall patching and trim to finish up in the basement. Also picking up a couple of pallets of pellets for the winter. I went through 100 bags last year, but since we're working from home the rest of this year, I'm probably going to get one more pallet as we didn't run it during the week days last year.

Someone who heard our band at gig (back when live music was allowed in this state) has hired me to do some studio recording work next weekend on a couple of songs he wrote. I'm trying to come up with guitar parts for both of them, but not feeling very inspired by the material, lol. Here's hoping the actual studio recording is better than the homemade demo he's sent me so far. :rolleyes:

Aside from that, I've got yard cleanup to do. The high winds from earlier this week made a mess in the yard and also pointed out that I have a few trees that need to be trimmed back away from the house.

🇺🇲 Never forget! 🇺🇲

Got the mowing done Thursday, so I'm set for the weekend!

Sorted through my stock of cherry this morning and made a final selection for some pieces to mill into crown molding - will run it this afternoon for effect.

Saturday will be a bit more on cherry parts for a cabinet for our home office.

Sunday should be our normal routine of me preparing brunch, then chilling out the remainder of the day.

I was going to leave Saturday with 16 guys to ride the Tail of the Dragon but because of thunderstorms Monday %80 we kick back a day so leaving Sunday . Should be a intense ride.

This is a quick video of the ride . I don't this us old guys with big touring bikes will get out of 2nd gear.

Yesterday I finished a tall cabinet for the kitchen - will install tomorrow

Today I canned 7-1/2 pints of peaches

Tuesday I canned 10 pints of some spaghetti sauce, almost all from the garden

Sunday I start another sign

I was on my way to my first job site when I heard about the first plane. I found a TV at a convenience store just in time to see the second crash. Later, of course, the Pentagon was hit and the family was panicked because my oldest sister worked there. She was on the other side of the building fortunately. What a sad day!

It has been a good ETSY week for me. I only open my shop for the last four months of the year usually right after Labor Day. I opened last Saturday and as of today I have sold 103 items. I also had 3 off the book sales of items people asked about which I had not listed but had in inventory. It has been a very good week indeed. When I am sold out I am finished for the year and never renew my listings.

Not enough to make a living but it does pay for the hobby which means I can piddle around in the shop without guilt.

Well the wind came back our direction so it's just a wee bit smoky.. so not a lot of action on the planned outdoor activities is anticipated We'll see how the shop goes I made the mistake of leaving the back door open overnight and it was a bit much this morning.

1599875362403.png

Otherwise I'd be stacking rocks and spraying foam and cutting rubber for the waterfall rebuild which was rudely interrupted by a decided lack of desire to spend a lot of time outside right at the moment.

1599875603280.png

Tending to my super high tech furnace filter air purifier setup some instead (which despite it's rather ad-hoc assembly is working just as well today as it did for us in the last round which is quite well indeed).

1599875386493.png

On the plus side the peppers from the garden are coming in pre-smoked!

Ryan, that air filter is an amazing piece of...umm...engineering. :rofl:

I had some spare pond underliner.. a costco box.. a furnace filter.. and some packing tape :rolleyes: :D

You do what you gotta do to get it done.

I have to say the indoor air quality is at 2-3x better with it running though (I am pushing through a hepa quality furnace filter and sealed the box edges with packing tape). I had one even more "value engineered" during the last big fire by us.. the filter looked like a closet smokers closet door after a couple of days so I was replacing it every few days.

I had some spare pond underliner.. a costco box.. a furnace filter.. and some packing tape :rolleyes: :D

You do what you gotta do to get it done.

I have to say the indoor air quality is at 2-3x better with it running though (I am pushing through a hepa quality furnace filter and sealed the box edges with packing tape). I had one even more "value engineered" during the last big fire by us.. the filter looked like a closet smokers closet door after a couple of days so I was replacing it every few days.

Thanks Ryan! Off to Ace Hardware to pick up some filters. If I am not too ashamed of my efforts, I will post the result.

Thanks Ryan! Off to Ace Hardware to pick up some filters. If I am not too ashamed of my efforts, I will post the result.

Hope it helps, pass it on :)

There are some fancier designs, one that a lot of folks like uses two filters. Basically the same idea but the filters are attached to a V shaped end to the box. That would give more airflow because of the increased surface area. I decided against it here partially because I wanted to keep the air circulating down the hall so it would get both parts of the house more and thought a linear design would do that better.

Elevating it somewhat off of the ground seems to help some as well.

I've also got it setup so it's blowing away from the side of the house we're currently in (so swapping direction so it pulls from the bedroom at night and the living room during the day). That's mostly due to just not being able to get the air to fully recirc as well as I'd like.

But really any sort of contraption that recirculates the air some and shoves it through a filter helps some.

But really any sort of contraption that recirculates the air some and shoves it through a filter helps some.

Sure hope so as this is all I got. Mine is a forced draft vs an induced draft. It just worked out better that way in assemble. The only HEPA filter I could get was a small (7") filter replacement for a Holmes Air Purifier. Don't laugh too hard. I guess I will see how well it works.IMG_20200913_143434511_HDR.jpgIMG_20200913_143447433.jpgIMG_20200913_143503953_BURST001.jpg

Last edited:
So managed to find my old Dylos DC1000 air meter today and took a few measurements that might be interesting. It was a weee bit dusty (not sure if that counts as irony?) but dusted it off and I'm getting relative readings anyway.

Moving to two filters on the fan+filter assembly roughly halved the Pm2.5 particulate count, so it's definitely a question of filter surface plus airflow (or maybe just airflow with the filter surface being directly proportional.. IDK.. I'm not a fluid dynamics expert haha). The boss was complaining about the breathing situation and I had the filters so figured it was worth a shot.

In general terms (this is the "fine" particle count.. on the Dylos)
  • bad is 1,000
  • outside is 60,000
  • inside was 16,000 with overnight & one filter
  • inside has dropped to 7,000 with two filters in a V and the same fan
  • Opening the door for a couple seconds to grab some basil from outside spiked the count to 20,000 and took over an hour to come back down.
One other thing I've noticed is that directly downstream from the filter box is a lot better than behind it.. so I guess with a small one like that your best bang for the buck is probably:
  • close up as much of the house as you can. Especially bathrooms (unused) and laundry rooms.. the infiltrated smoke in my laundry room is I think coming in through the dryer and is just absolutely terrible. Closing that off helped quite a bit.
  • Aim the filter setup at your main living space
  • Don't open the outside doors any more than you have to.

Well it seemed to work but I suspect not optimally or even close to it. We notice a big difference but then anything we attempted would probably be an improvement. Next year I will need to either get a commercial one or find a DIY version that someone has put some research and testing into it. Overall, for an emergency situation I am happy with the result.