Friday 12May23

Clean up after thunderstorms the past 2 days. Took some large limbs down in back yard. Also need to rebuild weather station which got smashed by fallng limbs. Also busgted up some flower benches. Got off easy some places lost roofs and other things. Go to shigh school banc concert tonight for grndson. Such fun..
Everyone have a safe and healthy weekend and more.
David

I need to mow, but it's been raining and we're expecting rain every day for the next week. I need to shock the well as the water has started to get a smell to it. I bought a 24' telescoping wand for the power washer, so I might go ahead and do the shock today and plan on power washing the roof and siding tomorrow (as long as it's not lightning out), will give me a good chance to flush out all the chlorine at the same time.

Other than that, I've got plumbing and a few other things to finish before I can drywall the guest cabin, mostly indoor stuff.

Lots of farm and yard work here. I have to survey the electric fences and get the main group of sheep out on pasture. They are in the barn, complaining while eating expensive hay. The pregnant ewes can stay in until they deliver in a couple of weeks. It’s just easier that way.

I’m closing in on finishing a much needed bookcase for the upstairs hall. It will provide almost 34 feet of shelf space, which will bring a lot of order to binders of weaving manuals and patterns. It’s just 3/4 shop grade birch plywood with an applied face frame and will be painted to match the hall trim. This little project once again underscored the need for a simple, wall-mounted cutting station for sheet goods and I finally thought of a wall location for it. It’s on the short list. As big as the barn is, the open space fills up and it’s always a challenge to find a spot to set up sawhorses to break down sheet goods.

The kitchen reno has not quite stalled, but close to it. I have to move that forward a bit so we can get the drywall up and get building cabinets.

Then, there is an open ended amount of office work to do.

And it’s Mother’s Day weekend, our favourite seaside restaurant is open for the season, have to set aside some time for lobster poutine 😁

Have a good one. Stay safe. 👋

Last edited:
got to do some house cleaning today, tomorrow we have color/honor guard practice in the morning. We have a memorial service full honors on the 20th for a vet who passed away in Feb. and then we are doing the honor guard(rifles) only memorial day at a local cemetery for memorial day another legion post is doing the color guard. I may take the trike out for a bit in the afternoon. Sunday is the usual, church in the morning followed by working Bingo in the afternoon.

Mother's Day. Kids are coming Sunday morning early, have an animal swap meet to go to. Usually just spend a couple three hours walking, looking and talking with old friends. Pigs are consuming about 400 pounds a week, will wait for the kids to help fill the feeder. Lou and I will halter the calves Saturday and let them drag their ropes. Then Sunday the kids can halter their calves with their clean halters to practice leading them.
Saturday supposed to rain, been working in the woodshop rearranging and clearing horizontal surfaces. CJ is going to make the wooden waving flag from 2x4's this year for his 4H woods project. This is the video we are going to be following:
So the shop will be full and need to be ready to work. Also since this does require him to cut each 2x4 length wise twice, Lou and I are buying the contractor Sawstop saw.
Hauled in two jersey steers to be processed this week. That will help the feed bill. Trying to get brush and saplings cleared of fences. Weekend weather hasn't helped that job. You all stay healthy and be safe.

Heading out in a bit to go get things moved and set up for our monthly show at the Dragonhorn Tavern. I'll come home after setting up, then grab a nap and shower before heading back to the bar around 7:30. If I'm lucky, I'll have it all back home and unloaded from the 4Runner by about 2:30 AM.

Saturday and Sunday will be various house and yard chores. There's the weekly lawn mowing, and I need to finish getting the swamp cooler set up and ready to run. I might get a little shop time in working on some modifications to a shoe rack LOML picked up for me at a local thrift store.

Mother's Day. Kids are coming Sunday morning early, have an animal swap meet to go to. Usually just spend a couple three hours walking, looking and talking with old friends. Pigs are consuming about 400 pounds a week, will wait for the kids to help fill the feeder. Lou and I will halter the calves Saturday and let them drag their ropes. Then Sunday the kids can halter their calves with their clean halters to practice leading them.
Saturday supposed to rain, been working in the woodshop rearranging and clearing horizontal surfaces. CJ is going to make the wooden waving flag from 2x4's this year for his 4H woods project. This is the video we are going to be following:
So the shop will be full and need to be ready to work. Also since this does require him to cut each 2x4 length wise twice, Lou and I are buying the contractor Sawstop saw.
Hauled in two jersey steers to be processed this week. That will help the feed bill. Trying to get brush and saplings cleared of fences. Weekend weather hasn't helped that job. You all stay healthy and be safe

Not a lot different from my list, Jonathan! It’s fine weather here, but extremely dry for this time of year. It doesn’t look good for the early forage crops.
We need a good three-day soaking.

Looks like some fun projects with those grand kids.

No shop time this weekend - doing some R&R at the beach on St. George Island, FL. Tough duty I know but somebody has to do it!

The motivation for being here this weekend is the annual Shrimp Festival on Saturday. Well, that and just getting out of Dodge for a few days!

We'll drive back home on Monday and get back to "normal" - yeah, that!!

Went over to a friend's house and chewed the fat for most of the day. He gave me a box load of box sized chunks of spalted hackberry, spalted persimmon and pecan. I haven't turned any pecan or persimmon in quite a while so I am excited about getting those pieces of wood. I will turn a couple of boxes for him and his wife.

My next door neighbor's son is getting married and they need a chuppah for the ceremony. The chuppah is symbolic of the new home to which the man is taking his new wife. The marriage ceremony takes place inside its walls and under its ceiling and is witnessed by those in attendance which serves as a testament that the couple is indeed man and wife. I drew up some plans for a simple structure which most chuppahs usually are. I will help my neighbor construct the chuppah which he will have to take to the site of the wedding, assemble and then take down after the ceremony. The chuppah in addition to the fabric canopy suspended across the top of structure is usually decorated with garlands of flowers and sometimes with lacy fabrics on the verticals. The one we are building will be constructed so that it can be hammered together with a rubber mallet and will have no fasteners. The horizontals will use T-bridle joints sometimes called Naga joints as they were first developed by George Nakashima that lock into the vertical corner posts.

Back in my Boy Scout leader days I built several similar structures for camporees to provide temporary cover in case of a rain shower. The pieces have to be cut precisely but are easy to assemble with a rubber hammer.

1683932922054.png

I myself was married in a chuppah and learned to appreciate its symbolism. Must have worked since next month will mark our 50th wedding anniversary.