Friday 14 October

Fall break starts after I get home with the bus. Ordered two steel hydraulic lines for the John Deere, $300.00! Yikes. Last night went to feed a round bale, Oliver acted dead. So Lou and I went down the driveway to get the mail and on the way back up the drive I saw a heck of a lot of smoke, think large leaf pile smoke. Yep, Oliver starter shorted out, got battery cables disconnected before a fire, but not only did the secret smoke get let out, but a bunch of liquid also ran out (assume insulation?) so ordered that this morning, a range of $695.00 - $295.00 for the starter. Oh well, each tractor has worked on the farm for over 20 years with only maintenance costs.
Next week, cutting firewood. Have some standing dead and a couple tops broken out and laying on the ground from storms so will get after this winter's wood with a vengeance if the weather cooperates. Be safe all.

Temperature is moderate so out I go. Have a few cutting boards I'm working on. Not for any purposejust cause I want to. Also doing some reorganizing of shop. It needs it badly,
This week end Maple Leaf Festival here in Carthage. Parade and all the stuff that goes with it. Lots of fun, and friends gathering. Whole town participates. Usually the leaves are turning to a beautiful gold but not this year to hot and dry so still either green or just dead. Lost 2 Canaan fir trees due to weather 12 foot tall. Very nice shaped but could not tolerate the weather extremes.
Everyone have a safe and healthy week.
David

well tomorrow is the first day of 2023 Annual Open enrolment for Medicare so I have appointments Sunday will be church then come Monday another full week if helping people. So let the fun begin. It'll be that way for the next several weeks. today is supposed to be 93 but it should be the last day for 90+ temps for a while. Saturday and Sunday is calling for scattered storms.

Kicking in a low carb diet to lose a few pounds. I don't want to buy new pants. Need to do yard work and trim some tree branches. Persimmons are ripe, but the critters didn't leave me enough to make jam :mad: Finally got my friend moved to her downsize apartment and will have more time to play in the shop. Can't even get to my lathe so that will get priority, as a new sphere cutting jig needs a work out. Lots of puttering to do.

Fall break starts after I get home with the bus. Ordered two steel hydraulic lines for the John Deere, $300.00! Yikes. Last night went to feed a round bale, Oliver acted dead. So Lou and I went down the driveway to get the mail and on the way back up the drive I saw a heck of a lot of smoke, think large leaf pile smoke. Yep, Oliver starter shorted out, got battery cables disconnected before a fire, but not only did the secret smoke get let out, but a bunch of liquid also ran out (assume insulation?) so ordered that this morning, a range of $695.00 - $295.00 for the starter. Oh well, each tractor has worked on the farm for over 20 years with only maintenance costs.
Next week, cutting firewood. Have some standing dead and a couple tops broken out and laying on the ground from storms so will get after this winter's wood with a vengeance if the weather cooperates. Be safe all.
Sounds like an average day on the farm, Jon.
I installed a battery cutout switch on our old Farmall, which gives much peace of mind.
Happy wood cutting!

Looks like a rainy weekend on the way, which means some shop time and many overdue indoor jobs.

Perfect weather here, but I don't know the temp. The lack of sunshine from last week's run of cloudy, rainy weather knocked out the batteries on my solar powered weather station.

Playing our monthly show at the Dragonhorn tonight, so today will largely be spent resting up and prepping for that.

Saturday I'll go up on the roof to drain and cover the swamp cooler. While I'm up there I'll change the batteries in the weather station.

Sunday will be the usual yardwork and random puttering around the house. Also, the faucet in LOML's bathroom has gotten loose, so I need to crawl under the sink and get that tightened back up.

Last edited:
Sounds like an average day on the farm, Jon.
I installed a battery cutout switch on our old Farmall, which gives much peace of mind.
Happy wood cutting!

Looks like a rainy weekend on the way, which means some shop time and many overdue indoor jobs.
Haven't seen or heard much about a Farmall tractor.... in 1948 my dad took a job in West Texas farming for a guy on shares... (We were sharecroppers early in my childhood) the fellow provided Dad with a tractor, an old Farmall.... I think he had one in 1954 when we moved back to East Texas and was working another farm.... both tractors were old even back then.

My dad was not a man known for patience... he was trying to hook up a cultivator or some equipment to the tractor (when we lived in East Texas)... he set one side on the tractor, walked around to the other side and lifted that side to hook up, but the first side dropped off... he tried a couple more times with the same results... he walked off a ways, probably said some language I can't repeat here, then threw his hammer at the tractor. His next try went perfectly.
He quit farming that year.

Just busy, busy, busy getting ready for winter and working on a "priority" project for the boss...getting her temp pottery studio set up in the mechanical room. Working on installing OSB sheeting on the wall which she will paint. I am having to tapcon screw them through 2" of insulation into the concrete walls of the room. The concrete goes all around the room and right up to the ceiling. It is more for aesthetics as I don't trust them to support any loads. Any shelving will be floor supported. I am only installing about 16 feet along the walls for now. Just so she can get her kiln, slab roller and pottery wheel set in place. This winter I will slowly skin the rest of the room. Should finish up this portion this Sunday and also stack more firewood to the space I have near the house. Oh yeah, got to leave to run a 5k this morning.

1665845396765.png
1665845494253.png
1665845431779.pngh

Once again not much doing
Family is doing the walk for breast cancer in the morning I refuse to go at 6 am
Nothing in the shop so as my usual I went thru cutoffs and found some pieces left over from the quilting board frames I made and an old warped cutting board
Cut it apart and glued up the pieces to make some trays
Simple stuff to keep me busy
I'm sure between all the kids one of them will take them

handles were leftover from kitchen reface a few years ago and I think the other 2 are from baileys discount store in indiana
They had so many on sale back then

Attachments

• 24DB758D-684C-4369-A546-DD4373E88548.jpeg
    24DB758D-684C-4369-A546-DD4373E88548.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 9
  • F043F5C6-92A1-45F0-9C68-D8D041282C17.jpeg
    F043F5C6-92A1-45F0-9C68-D8D041282C17.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 9
Those are great Allen!!!

Today I'm listening to the Michigan/Penn State game (GO BLUE!) while making the doors for the Fabric Hutch, more of the hutch tomorrow(y)

Ease up there, Turbo. You're making us old guys look bad. :rofl:
Not if you saw how slow I ran. I looked good. All those years of competitive running instilled the proper form, but did not prepare me for how bad I suck right now. Every Saturday there is a 5K run, rain or snow. It is associated with ParkRun. The ParkRun was organized here in July and I started showing up about 3 weeks ago, thinking it might kickstart me into running again. Unfortunately I have not been able to train as I have been too busy with projects and wildfire smoke would drift in when I had the time. Well after today, I am determined to at least go out for two days running to prepare for next Saturday. Basically I was running on memory, but I don't remember suffering so much. I calculated that I have run only 3 times in the last 15 to 20 years. And those 3 times have been the last 3 weeks. My competitive juices are now flowing and I am determine to eventually put in at least 3 to 5 days a week running.

Got back from the run this morning and put up some more OSB. I have it going up to the ceiling now and turned the corner. Amazingly my calculation turned out correct for 3-1/2" drain line cutout using a hole saw. My wife was mystified why I was surprised. "Well, you measured it." Not understanding I have measured plenty of things that did not turn out. I am tired, my Bosch SDS Rotary Hammer Drill is heavy and I am old. Tomorrow I will finish it up.

1665869807632.png

1665870473808.png

Last edited: