Friday - 14JAN22

Today is nice and sunny with a high of around 75. Tomorrow in the 30's. AWK!!! Makes acclimating to the weather kinda hard. Oh, well. Errands today. Who knows about tomorrow.

No snow down here - as far as we know for now!

Finally finishing up on my office cabinet/display unit - just a couple of screws to add to the crown assembly to secure it to the top.

In my shop this morning, primarily working on a layout for a display case for an Asian doll of Bobbie's.

As usual, we'll drive to Boston for shrimp and catfish lunch, then back home for a nap!

This afternoon, I'll start milling some kind of wood, probably cherry off-cuts, into 1/2" sticks for the doll display case. The specific type of wood won't matter since it'll be sprayed with black lacquer.

Saturday will include a little shop time on the doll case. It's also time to fry up about four pounds of ground beef/pork mix on my outdoor griddle. We'll have burgers for supper and freeze the remainder for other meals.

Sunday will start with me preparing brunch, as usual, then just chillin'.

The latest from our local Weather guys say we are going to get an icy mix, but one degree either way could make a lot of snow, ice, or rain. I will be preparing today for the worse...ICE. And likely no power for several days, With heat pumps as the main source of heat for house and shop, this means that I'll be working on all of the back-up heat, like fireplaces, kerosene heaters, etc. today, and charging every battery to full capacity. I don't like the smell and kerosene is getting very hard to find and expensive too, so I have been collecting propane alternatives, but both can be dangerous. Fortunately at the other end of my street there is a sewer pumping station that uses 3 phase power. It's very high on the list of things to get working again, so this usually means that I will get power fairly quickly after it goes down, unless the wires on my street have problems. Our street power comes from the B leg of the 3 phase. All three phases don't come down the street (wish it did). Before that pumping station was built we were usually several days to a week before getting out power back. Since the pumping station arrived, this has been reduced to just a couple of hours worse case. I can only pray that this luck will continue.

Charley

Got a ton of feed yesterday, have to drop a couple round bales in the feeders tonight. Fina's 4 children are having a birthday skating party Saturday. Eric, Tess and Audrey are picking Lou and I up and making a day of it. Sunday, load a pickup load of wood for the stove, maybe take a rest. Been busy at school, wood shop is going excellent, just changed the filters in the exhaust system in welding shop, engine shop kids have projects and timelines are about finished. Have a safe and healthy weekend everyone!

Sunny skies and temps in the high 40s to low 50s here this weekend.

Tonight is our monthly gig at the Dragonhorn, so today will be spent mostly prepping for that.

I'm halfway through making a few porridge spurtles for a local lady...I'm planning to get the rest of them done this weekend. For the uninitiated, what cooks call a 'spurtle', us woodturners call a 'bonker'. :D

We have a couple of window panes that need to be replaced. They're both in older single-pane aluminum frames, so I'm going to check things out and see if it's something I can replace myself. One of the panes is on the kitchen window. LOML cracked that a few weeks ago trying to close the window. (It doesn't slide well, and she got something torqued in the process and it cracked the glass. The other is one of our bedroom windows. Our 90 pound dog spotted a cat or a fox in the front yard a couple of nights ago at 2:00 AM and in his excitement he punched a hole in the glass with either his nose or foot. (We're not sure how he broke it because we never did find any injuries, despite finding a few drops of blood.)

We have some winter weather coming tonight into tomorrow (same system you’re seeing Dave H) so I’ll be working in the barn to reclaim some of that great open space it provides. I have a hard time to let go of scrap wood, but I have to be strong!!

We’re into the dead of winter now, prime workshop season and there are lots of projects on the list (some carried over from last spring).
Enjoy your weekend!

since I have no projects lined up, Ive been working on 6 layered dog planters. whatever time I get, whenever its warm enough, I go out, work a couple of hours.....theres always a step or new step to work on with 6 dogs.
no rush....its getting mostly too cold out there lately, so its just something in case I get a chance to be in shop.
other than that...exciting stuff, like maybe costco tomorrow, then stop and shop, then football, lets go bills. sunday, nothing, more football.
my life is so exciting

I spent some time clearing out the little house to get it ready to come down. It had the plow and some other tools stored in the lean to. Planning to start some demo on it next week.

We’ve got some winter weather coming tonight. Going to work on getting things organized here at the house and may do some more garage cleanup this weekend. Trying to stay warm otherwise.

Not sure, but there will be adventure, danger, hair raising excitement, heart stopping thrills, and adrenaline pumping fireworks! Sorry, that's just the La-Z-Boy and the bourbon talking. I'm probably just gonna go get the mail and pull some weeds.
A man like you needs business cards, Ted. I took the liberty...
Ted Calver.jpg

I will be working on another tool wall for the "shop". As I mentioned in my shop post, I quickly realized I needed more wall or less tools. Going with the more wall option. I started on wall fixtures and will continue those this weekend. Going for a hike in the snow today. As usual, pickleball this Sunday, keeping up with our Tuesday, Friday and Sunday schedule.

I watched the Bills and Patriots game last night... In Buffalo it was 6 degrees with a wind chill factor of -7 degrees.... too cold for me to sit out and watch a football game, but was nice and cozy in my lounge chair.

The players didn't seem to notice the cold, but did notice the QB's both had red noses and everyone was blowing steam when they breathed.

I worked in my shop yesterday... according to my thermometer it was 40 degrees in the shop... my little heater only raise the temp about 5 degrees... all that iron was cold to handle.... but I did finish 6 bowls, 5 only need the bottom tenons taken off and the 6th was turned from start to finish. Reached a point where I was having trouble feeling my toes, so called it a day about 4:30.... had to make dinner for wife and step son anyway.