Friday 16Oct20

Dave Hoskins

Shop time today. Want to finish up a pecan bowl that I started. Giving trouble as there is a large nail in the center that I found when I started hollowing it out. ARGGGG. Shop time all weekend as far as I know.

Taking it easy as always. No mowing for third week. To dry for grass to grow. Will start leaf removal as leaves are falling to dry to stay on trees. Maybe mess a little in shop. Nothing big planned.
David

Busy weekend. House thermostat is reporting no power, so may have to call in an expert. Have an on-line virtual American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) conference I need to attend to ensure I have enough continuing education credits to maintain my license. The deck repair project is in full swing since the thing was sagging badly and threatening collapse. Trying to work smarter to save the back. With lots of heavy PT lumber to get from the driveway to the back deck, yesterday I cobbled together a little transporter from a Harbor Freight dolly and wheels from a garden cart. Seems the PT lumber in the deck ate many of the galvanized nails the contractor used 15 years ago and the ledger boards failed. Finally got it shored up and ready for new ledgers this weekend.
IMG_3856.jpeg,IMG_3858.jpeg,
IMG_3859.jpeg,IMG_3860.jpeg,
IMG_3862.jpeg,IMG_3873.jpeg

Got some appointments to run it' the first weekend for Medicare Open Enrollment so will either be visiting clients or on the phone taking cares of business. So for this is shaping up as a slower year then ever for enrollments. I think folks are not willing to make any changes what with the Covid thing but we will see this is only the first week. Wife also asked me to put out the outdoor Halloween decorations so I need to find time to do that tomorrow or Sunday. Today is supposed to be 100 degrees again. We have the distinction of setting a record this year of 145 days 100 degrees or more. The long term forecast looks a little better dropping into the low 90s and high 80s the rest of the month. So by Thanksgiving when Medicare AEP slows down, I should be able to get back out into he shop.

Mostly yard and grandkid stuff this weekend. I may try to close the pool today between meetings if I can get my brother to come by and help me secure the cover, otherwise it may have to wait until later this weekend. I'm finishing up the beam and door trim in the basement, then can get started on the new sanders rolling base.

Babysitting a few hours so my daughter can get her shopping done
When I get home will clean off bar top and it is being picked up tomorrow for hopefull installation of unit soon
Keeping fingers crossed I hope to start experimenting with cutting some pieces for a rocker assembly and must start glue ups for bandsaw reindeer
A lot of requests for those little things but I've run out of 12/4 wood so will start glueups

every year my sister in law does the cancer walk to raise money for breast cwncer
Tomorrow we have a group that will walk around the neighborhood since the walk at Jones beach was cancelled only drive by

No mowing this week - cooler weather and no rain means grass hasn't grown as much.

Made a short run to Lowe's this morning for parts to finish a new faucet install in our guest bath. Then, Bobbie and I drove to Boston for catfish and shrimp.

I'll do a bit more on our guest bath this afternoon and again on Saturday,

Sunday will start with me preparing brunch, then chillin' out until race time.

Spent some time this morning in the shop helping a buddy cut some parts for a gun safe/headboard prototype he's making. Planning to do some shop cleanup this afternoon. (Taking advantage of the fact that I had to move some stuff around to cut the parts, so I can vacuum in some places that are usually inaccessible.)

Spending much of Saturday at Rio Grande Studios adding some guitar tracks to a couple of songs I was hired to "sweeten up".

Might possibly go to my buddy's cabin on Sunday to check out what's left of the fall colors in the high country.

Jarrod and I put a deer feeder in. We went cheep. Materials all from the shop except the battery operated spinner. Today I went back the the farm and loaded 1/2 cord of oak. I much prefer to split oak when its not cured. Next years firewood.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1603057962513.jpg
    FB_IMG_1603057962513.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 9