Friday 19Nov21

DOG-GONE-IT

Yet another one of these. Yikes we do get a LOT of them.

Well, I cleaned up most of the leaves in the yard, but there is more to go

I finished stacking this years 2 cords of firewood yesterday.

I got my Honda Civic sold, just waiting for the new owners to come get it.

My shop is a tragic mess from doing other work - so it needs to be cleaned

I have been doing some testing on the side with epoxy resin fill and some new glazing techniques, that is for another customer.

I still have a restaurant sign to design and create.

I need to make a fixture for making Pillow bungs - that one is in the works.

I need to finish vinyl siding on my garden room, but that will wait until customer jobs are done.

Going through withdrawal since mowing season is winding down!

Finally getting to some closing steps on the home office storage/display unit - some sanding and sealer on part of it today.

Bobbie and I will do our usual drive to Boston for catfish and shrimp today (Friday).

Saturday will be shop time on the office cabinet project.

Sunday will be our normal process of me preparing brunch, then we'll see what happens after that.

I've also started the thawing process on a turkey I'll smoke for a Thanksgiving get-together. I plan to have it thawed so I can get it in a brine Tuesday, smoke it on Wednesday, and have it ready to serve Thursday.

My gardener raked up a truck load of pine straw on Wednesday and after the wind last night I can't see my driveway again. :confused: Fortunately my wife will not be adding that to my honey do list because it is cold and I don't do cold any more.

I had a 20" diameter ambrosia maple platter blank split when I mounted it on the lathe earlier in the week. Thank goodness it split as I was screwing it onto my wormwood screw faceplate. The darn thing would have killed me if it split while I was working on it. Anyway I started sawing it into little bowl blanks. I can sell little bowls but more than likely I would have had to keep the platter when it was done. Not many buyers want a piece that large.

Here are a couple others that I turned from the same tree. The first is just a plain and simple platter. The second is a rolled rim platter.

IMG_2158 new mod.jpg IMG_2162 mod (Custom).JPG

IMG_2389 mod sized.JPG IMG_2391 mod sized.JPG

It's the start of lots of visitors for my wife's grandpa's 100th birthday. He has some of his late brother's family coming today and next week. We've got a birthday party planned for him on his birthday, then have family coming in after for it and Thanksgiving.

I have a small shelf I picked up for him to put on the wall next to his chair. He wants somewhere to set a drink, but his chair is in the walk way from the kitchen, so there's no room for even a small table. Also going to install an electrical outlet on that wall for him to plug his digital clock into (which is easy for him to read) and heater/electric blanket.

I'm hoping to make it down to the creek this weekend and haul some gravel out for the drive, might start some brush hogging behind the barn up to the pond in the woods, which will double as my shooting range area from time to time. I will continue some garage clean-up/out and re-wiring.

Jim, I live in the woods as well. Best thing I have is a 25hp riding mower and mulching blades.
All those leaves can be easily converted into really nice compostable organic matter.
I call it a win-win-win-win --------> win(leaves) - win (mower) - win (mulching) - win (organic matter)
I have a Kubota BX2380 tractor, and the DR "Pro" 12hp leaf vac. Both the mower and the vac chop up the leaves, so they're well compacted in the trailer. I empty the trailer in an area in the corner of my yard, and let them compost over the winter. By spring, the pile will have reduced by about 75%, or more, and the underlying compost is very rich. Been doing this for about fifteen years.

BTW, the leaf trailer holds over 300 gallons of compacted leaves and grass clippings. I've filled it about 20 times so far, then the Oaks have just now started to drop. Maples and Beech are pretty much done, though.

I'm teaching a 4-year CCW renewal class this evening to a couple of folks. Not sure if we'll be going to the range this weekend to do the shooting qualification part of the class or not...it'll depend on their schedule, but weekdays are better because the range they want to go to will be less crowded.

Most of the rest of the weekend will likely be yardwork. We've got a fair amount of leaf cleanup that needs to happen in our little orchard, and lots of other pruning there and in other parts of the yard as well.

Finished my part of the shadowbox church window project and got them installed yesterday. Here's one before we covered the interior with cardboard to keep the painters from painting the lights. The stained glass is being constructed and will be installed in a couple of weeks, but the painters needed the shell in place now.
IMG_5681.jpeg,
Today and this weekend we will keep nibbling away at the stained glass dome for the Oklahoma State Capital museum. Here's today's batch awaiting a boost up top:
IMG_5698.jpeg.
...and the first finished section of the pie:
IMG_5713.jpeg.

Our contract was only for the stained glass. We were told that the spaces between the pie sections of glass would remain as you see them to allow visitors a glimpse into how the capital was constructed. Would not be my choice.

son in law is coming over tomorrow to blow out sprinkler system, then hell move my office AC down to the crawl space,
I finished bluey character today, so now Ill get on to a small telephone/hall table, with legs I took off a discaded kitchen table.

Another two wagon loads of wood waiting to be split. Caught a cold, will split one load and then take a nap. Setting up panels to move calves to the head gate, need to dehorn and castrate the jersey calves. Old vet retired so can't get meds anymore. Had to find a new vet and he will do the work for me. Our football team lost the semi state game last night, they had a great run and are a great bunch of kids.
Only two school days next week, will be cutting and splitting wood over the thanksgiving vacation. Be careful and stay safe all!!!!

Forgot to share. Sitting in my chair last night, Audrey calls, she shot a buck, so Lou and I get dressed and go to help locate it. We were about a half hour tracking it. As we enter the woods that were thick with vines and tunnels only, Audrey says, "I guess my new nickname will be the deer slayer!" What a kid, what a first grader! 300 blackout again. Actually had a coyote slink away from it, so good we found it early and somewhat easily. Didn't stay to help gut and cape it, Lou drove me home.

Audrey's '21 buck.jpg

In her stand, green apple twizzlers and her notebook.

Audrey in the stand.jpg

Last edited: