Friday 22May20

Dave Hoskins

Somewhat rainy. Have one of them thar telephone appointments with my GP doctor this morning. Regular 6 month appointment. Have some Amazon deliveries coming sometime today. I do want to go to Albertson's sometime today as they do have the best produce section in the area. That's where I get my honeycrisp apples and so on. Not sure about shop time after I get all of that done. For sure shop time this weekend as I can with the thunderstorms keep rolling around. Nothing like Michigan is having.

Got the mowing done Thursday, as I prefer, so today is clear for whatever.

In my shop now after starting my Friday at the clinic for blood work and an injection. I'll do a few things for my next project, a demilune table. If weather allows this afternoon, I'll run some PVC pipe for a water line to a potting bench.

Saturday will be more work on the demilune table project - a bending form for the apron and drawer front.

Sunday will be our normal routine of me preparing brunch. This week, I'll stick a slab of pork spare ribs on the Traeger to prepare for lupper. I addition to that, I'll get prepared for the NASCAR Coke 600!

Made arrangements to get roof replaced on shop. Of course Rain rain rain, and forecast rain for next week. And my shop needs a roof desperately.
Finished my high back Adirondack chairs and table. Did find out I need a sprayer of some type for finishing. Brush work is a little difficult on this project. As a side note loml did most of the finishing.
Photos attached which was pretty simple. I figured my computer skills would be packing in this area.
Everyone have a safe and healthy.
Now on to other project.
Credit Wood magazine issue 254 for the plans which I did have problems with. It did work out.

David

Attachments

• IMG_20200521_121021.jpg
    IMG_20200521_121021.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200521_120952.jpg
    IMG_20200521_120952.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200521_120754.jpg
    IMG_20200521_120754.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 13
Woke to a deluge here this morning, so no outside work. Need to make a short trip into town to get a new battery for the lawn tractor... my 6 month batter has only lasted for about 18 months.... just put new drive belts on it and need to get it off the truck.
Will need to get in some shop time this weekend... I have a custom pepper mill I need finished before Father's day...

...Finished my high back Adirondack chairs and table...
Nice chairs! What wood?

Credit Wood magazine issue 254 for the plans which I did have problems with. It did work out.
David
One thing I learned (the hard way :rolleyes: ) about magazine plans, and about Wood Magazine in particular: Wait until the next issue before starting one of their projects, because that's where/when they'll print the corrections.

Hoping to get the rotary painted and installed tonight on the cnc. I still need to solder up a cable for it, but that should be a pretty quick task (without Muphy's help). Tomorrow we're going to spend some time at her grandparents inventorying and boxing up some of their things. Hope to do some swimming sometime this weekend, but not sure the sun will be out much, things are getting soaked right now. So maybe trying out the rotary on some test pieces.

Will be mowing the part of the lawn that is not underwater.

Then it is drawer time. I have all 15 of the dresser drawers half done. I'll inset the bottom and glue them up over the weekend. I'll also be starting on the bed rails. Finally figured out the engineering on them- combination of bed bolts, countertop bolts, and mortice bed locks.

I’ve got a mini split aircon to install, if the rain holds off, then it’s the eldest daughter’s birthday party on Sunday.
My work is ever so slowing picking up, well anything is an uptick when you’ve been at zero for a couple of months LOL

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No slow down here happening. Customers are so happy to hear we are operating as normal kind of seems like we in a different world during the day. Then I go to the store and see fear everywhere. Most likely I'll be in the shop all weekend unless we get some nice riding weather which seems unlikely.

One of my nephews had some trees removed from his yard Wednesday, so yesterday evening I picked up a few chunks of nice ash and choke cherry. Today I'll be getting those cut into turning blanks. This is the first green wood I've been able to get my hands on since I set up my shop here in ABQ. Looking forward to making some wet wood ribbons this weekend. But before I do that I want come up with a way to hang some shower curtains around my turning area to somewhat keep the curlies from going all over the shop.

I'd also like to at least get started on a utility table/storage cart to put on our back patio. I've had a Keeter folding workbench out there since we moved in that's being used for storing various yard tools and bird feeding stuff. I have an old enameled steel tabletop that was in my grandma's laundry room for years, and then stored outside for decades. The wooden apron and legs are pretty much rotten, but the top's still in good shape. Should be a pretty simple project, but I'm sure I can turn it into a long drawn-out affair, lol. Once it's done, I can re-claim my Keeter bench and use it in the shop.

I also need to rig up a place to mount a game camera in our front yard. We've got a variety of wildlife that shows up at night to eat mealworms that LOML puts out for the roadrunners, so we recently picked up a camera so LOML can get pics and video of them. I've got the camera temporarily mounted, but I want to set up something a bit more permanent that's not visible from the street, and thus less likely to be stolen.

No big plans for Memorial Day other than a get-together with some friends on Sunday afternoon for a socially distant cookout that'll also include some yard games and acoustic guitar playing.

The Adirondack chairs are cedar. Had to do a lot of sorting to get decent wood. And that was sketchy.
Pretty wood though lots of knots and coloration.
David