Friday 24Jun22

Dave Hoskins

Have a semi annual doctor's appointment late this morning. Then a couple of errands and then home and the ac and the poochies. It's gonna be in the triple digits today and probably tomorrow.

Heading to the farm this afternoon for the night, get some mowing done. Check on feeder and camera. Get the camper open and relax by the fire.
Sunday Shelly's side of the family reunion in Hanover Pa. Jarrods bring his new girl to meet everyone.

Attachments

• 20220625_081722.jpg
    20220625_081722.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Our main effort today is keeping cool! (See my other post) Also waiting to hear from the A/C folks this morning.

In any case, we plan to make our usual trek to Boston for shrimp and catfish. Not sure about shop time, although my shop is reasonably comfortable with the small A/C unit I have there.

Saturday shop time will be working on my 3D printer that decided to act up a bit - being weird.

Sunday will be our normal routine of me preparing brunch, then chilling out watching some golf and NASCAR.

I really need to MOW.

Today is shop work to be done

Tomorrow my friend and I will be going to the Mystic Wooden Boat Show at Mystic Seaport

Last time I went I rowed a dory around the harbor. I may row something else this time.
A ride on the Steam boat will be in order as well.

I really need to MOW.

Today is shop work to be done

Tomorrow my friend and I will be going to the Mystic Wooden Boat Show at Mystic Seaport

Last time I went I rowed a dory around the harbor. I may row something else this time.
A ride on the Steam boat will be in order as well.
when I was stationed in New London I used to love going up to Mystic Seaport. Great place to se a bit of history. I would always end my visit with a few beers at the seamans inn. Don't know if it still there since that was over 50 years ago.

No big plans here for the weekend. I need to do a bit of cleanup and organizing in the shop, and LOML would like me to cobble together a little lean-to roof to keep the rain out of one of the mealworm dishes she puts out for the roadrunners. I'll also button up the access hole in the closet that I opened up last weekend to investigate a plumbing leak. And of course there's the weekly mowing and other assorted yardwork that happens here this time of year. Aside from that, I'm planning to just kick back and work on my sloth impressions. :)

Mowed early this week but not needing to again to mow for a long time. Mowing was a dust bowl. Very dry and hot. Yes live in airconditioner. Surprised at electric bill just arrived. only $80 and479 kwh. I feel changing whole house to LED's really is paying off. Also got a new digital meter installed which is proably more accurate than the old style. Installing a back porch light fixture with led type which is desperately needed but not till it cools off. Maybe in morning.
Everone stay healthy and safe and cool. Pray for the ill and for rain.
David

Staying cool. It's dry enough that the yard hasn't grown much, so I'll probably get out of mowing this weekend. I've been loading up the trailer with scrap metal to take to the scrap yard and trying to finish taking down the last of the little house. I knocked down the rest of the lean-to on the back of the barn the other day. I'll be working on picking out the metal and salvaging some wood from it's framing that is still good.

been busy in shop, childrens adirondack chairs, and today I finished up 2 pvc pipe birds for my niece when they move into new home.....just keeping myself busy....my son is about to give me measurements for a ladder desk his bride wants, so that is my project as soon as we get home from down south in august.
my daughters babysitters mom tested positive for covid, so we didnt want baby near her...even though she tested negative, so we have him today, hes sleeping over, and then again all day tomorrow and hes sleeping over a second night .........its tough, we have spoiled him rotten, and he knows it, so he is the prince, the king, and he only wants grandpa to push him around in his ride on car, and onlyl wants grandpa to push him in the swing, and only wants grandpa to walk with him, we look for birdies, squirrels, bunnies, and gardeners.....for some reason the lawn mowers and truckies they have impress him, and he will just stand there for 20 minutes watching them.
I would never be able to handle him by myself, with my back, my weight, he is a constant moving machine, and then he naps for 2.5 hours.....then once hes recharged, its go time.
today I let him handle some of the pvc piping , handing him small pieces and telling him where to put them....he likes to feel like hes part of everything.

he was so tired today, while I was swinging him, he fell asleep, we laughed for a bit, too funny.

so I play with him, then when elen feeds him or whatever, I try to squeeze in some shop time.

Attachments

• DE866B53-BB16-4033-9401-B2E8AF41D7A0.jpeg
    DE866B53-BB16-4033-9401-B2E8AF41D7A0.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 7
been busy in shop, childrens adirondack chairs, and today I finished up 2 pvc pipe birds for my niece when they move into new home.....just keeping myself busy....my son is about to give me measurements for a ladder desk his bride wants, so that is my project as soon as we get home from down south in august.
my daughters babysitters mom tested positive for covid, so we didnt want baby near her...even though she tested negative, so we have him today, hes sleeping over, and then again all day tomorrow and hes sleeping over a second night .........its tough, we have spoiled him rotten, and he knows it, so he is the prince, the king, and he only wants grandpa to push him around in his ride on car, and onlyl wants grandpa to push him in the swing, and only wants grandpa to walk with him, we look for birdies, squirrels, bunnies, and gardeners.....for some reason the lawn mowers and truckies they have impress him, and he will just stand there for 20 minutes watching them.
I would never be able to handle him by myself, with my back, my weight, he is a constant moving machine, and then he naps for 2.5 hours.....then once hes recharged, its go time.
today I let him handle some of the pvc piping , handing him small pieces and telling him where to put them....he likes to feel like hes part of everything.

he was so tired today, while I was swinging him, he fell asleep, we laughed for a bit, too funny.

so I play with him, then when elen feeds him or whatever, I try to squeeze in some shop time.
Grand kids are the best. Today I am with my grandson on his 13th birthday.

Staying cool. It's dry enough that the yard hasn't grown much, so I'll probably get out of mowing this weekend. I've been loading up the trailer with scrap metal to take to the scrap yard and trying to finish taking down the last of the little house. I knocked down the rest of the lean-to on the back of the barn the other day. I'll be working on picking out the metal and salvaging some wood from it's framing that is still good.

if the barn is really old, wouldnt it be wonderful if it was made with chestnut framing

if the barn is really old, wouldnt it be wonderful if it was made with chestnut framing
Not quite, probably 100 years too young. I believe the barn was built in 1919, there's a license plate on the beam with that year. We know the little house was a bit older and the main house was built in 1921. Would have been cool though. I think most of the wood is white oak for the beams and siding has mostly poplar and some walnut.

Ok way too hot and humid to cut more birds today
Went to park this morning sliding pond was too hot would burn baby's legs
I needed the pink chair right away and have a ton of pink berry spray paint I use for the flamingos
No more room to start much else
Maybe a couple more birds to make someone happy

Attachments

• 7E759D8B-FCA2-44BB-AD74-6C84F04F6451.jpeg
    7E759D8B-FCA2-44BB-AD74-6C84F04F6451.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 8
I don't really plan my weekends. For one they are just a continuation of my week. Work on the homestead and squeeze in some play. And generally play involves some form of exercise. So this week has been a lot of digging and weed-wacking with some mountain biking. Today I felt tired from all the week long activities, so I decided to take a short hike with over 1150 feet of elevation gain. The hike was to Lookout Mountain with an elevation of 5486'. Funny thing is we could see our house a long ways away with the binoculars. None of attached photo's are looking that way.

1656278207875.png
1656278275631.png
1656278325924.png
1656278395994.png
1656278443477.png
1656278494463.png