Friday 24Mar23

Busy, been a busy week. Fina's barn burnt down early Monday morning. Kids lost all their show rabbits and Jon lost his flock of chickens. Nothing left. No electric to the barn and firemen had a difficult hot spot, so police investigating, fire department sent an arson investigator out also. Their 4H pigs were to be delivered this coming week as well as they were going to pick up their 4H goats. So yes it could be worse. We pick up their 4H calves Sunday as Saturday is supposed to be horrible weather.

Fina's Barn I.jpg

Fina's Barn II.jpg

Yep, new Kubota last summer, melted the back end of that tractor like no other. Kubota picked it up Thursday. The insurance they have through Kubota, if it is a total loss they will replace it. Melted stuff in their truck, it won't start, melted lights off of stock trailer. Kids are doing well now. Jon has even asked people if they want to buy some roasted chicken! (He has my sense of humor). Bought them two new 6x8 3 sided sheds, guy will deliver this Thursday, will provide a home for their goats and feed. Boys and I are going to start on a chicken coop and have a half round hog house to go pick up and put in their fenced area for the pigs. You all stay safe and healthy. Enjoy.

Last edited:
got to finish installing a new GPS on the trike today. I got one designed for motorcycles a GARMIN ZUMO 396. It's got software that will pick routs based on your riding preferences like lots of curvy road, avoid freeways etc etc.. Since I have been made ride Captain for the Legion Riders for our Post I figured I better get something. Tomorrow the Legion is putting on a fishing derby for the Kids it's an annual event. We provide the polls, feed em lunch and give prizes for stuff like first fish, biggest fish etc. they are expecting around about 100 kids so it should be fun. Sunday the usual church then off to help with Bingo.

Not a lot going on here. Bobbie and I are still de-compressing from a nearly week-long visit from my oldest daughter and her husband. Don't get me wrong - we love to have them visit, but life is 'different' when we have any visitors for more than a few hours! :)

We'll head to Boston, as usual, shortly for lunch, then back home for a nap! I need to get a couple things done in my shop this afternoon, but we'll see how motivated I am later. :dunno:

As to Saturday shop time, don't know yet since we're forecast to have a stormy day.

Sunday will be brunch, as usual, then chill out until race time.

Fina's barn burnt down early Monday morning. Kids lost all their show rabbits and Jon lost his flock of chickens. Nothing left.
Jon, That's a terrible tragedy for Fina and her family. I've seen a few barn fires caused by spontaneous combustion from putting up wet hay and they were tough to control. Hope they can identify the cause and you and the family can figure out how to get a temporary shelter going.

Lots of garden and yard work ahead for me. My lawn crew's business expanded and they raised their rates for the third time. They were reasonable, but still too high for me, so I fired them and will start doing my own lawn again. They were mowing every week whether it needed it or not from March to December. The money saved will buy me a fancy new self propelled mower and a years worth of soothing beverage plus force me to get some more exercise.

Also important to note is the start of the carpenter bee season. I bagged four yesterday to bait my traps and prove I still have an awsome backhand slam shot.
IMG_8608.jpeg, IMG_8603.jpeg,IMG_8600.jpeg ,

Not much happening here... gotta go to Athens and pick up title for new van I got to do shows with, then a quick trip into Wally-world for a couple of things Dianne needs.... Saturday and Sunday need to get off my duff and work in the shop some... with the market fast approaching I need to work on inventory.
Gonna pull what I have at the museum to take down town... not really selling enough at the museum to warrant staying there. Hopefully, after being gone for a year and half Market Square will be more active.

It is supposed to be in the mid 80's today and tomorrow; low 80's until Tuesday. Yesterday it was 78 so that helped to thaw out my uninsulated slab.

I just came in for a restroom break and temps are already mid 70's.

I got two glorious hours in the shop so far today and should get 2 or 3 more this afternoon. I have an order for a large number of ort bowls. Turned two this morning and I hope to get 2 or 3 more this afternoon.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I go stir crazy when I can't go to the shop. Nothing like the smell of fresh wood chips to make you feel alive.

Lots of rain coming down. We expect the creek to get up out of the banks. Hopefully not too high. I'll postpone picking up the mini-splits until Monday evening. I'll probably start on the plumbing this weekend for the guest cabin. I've got some clean-out of the garage that needs to be done so I can get my woodworking tools and compressor off the trailer too. I also need to start planning some wood for the Urn.

Oh, also have a coat hook project to start on. ;)

Hoping the rain and snow stops so I can spend time in the shop this weekend working on some sort of coat hanger thingy. I think the Home Décor committee has finally agreed to the proposed design. We'll have to see if and change orders are issued before the project is completed. :rolleyes: :) I also need to do some wrenching on a cheap guitar I acquired a couple of months ago. After playing a few gigs with it I've determined it needs a few upgrades/tweaks.

If the weather dries out a bit I've got a rack of St. Louis style pork ribs that needs to spend some quality time in the smoker. I might also take a stab at replacing the door locks on my Ranger pickup. Only one of them got messed up in the recent theft attempt, but I want the doors and the ignition to all be keyed the same. I'm going to let the mechanic next door tackle the ignition switch itself. Normally, it'd be an easy swap, but things got buggered up in the steering column, so it won't be a straightforward job. I'll leave that one to the pro.

Busy, been a busy week. Fina's barn burnt down early Monday morning.
Jon. so very sorry to hear this! How devastating. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.

Took two days to refine the dye color for the entry bench. Turned out to be a much simpler solution that I anticipated, which is good because it can be easily replicated should I need more. Construction is done, now just color and finish. Delivery and installation in early April.

Busy, been a busy week. Fina's barn burnt down early Monday morning. Kids lost all their show rabbits and Jon lost his flock of chickens. Nothing left. No electric to the barn and firemen had a difficult hot spot, so police investigating, fire department sent an arson investigator out also. Their 4H pigs were to be delivered this coming week as well as they were going to pick up their 4H goats. So yes it could be worse. We pick up their 4H calves Sunday as Saturday is supposed to be horrible weather.

View attachment 124456

View attachment 124457

Yep, new Kubota last summer, melted the back end of that tractor like no other. Kubota picked it up Thursday. The insurance they have through Kubota, if it is a total loss they will replace it. Melted stuff in their truck, it won't start, melted lights off of stock trailer. Kids are doing well now. Jon has even asked people if they want to buy some roasted chicken! (He has my sense of humor). Bought them two new 6x8 3 sided sheds, guy will deliver this Thursday, will provide a home for their goats and feed. Boys and I are going to start on a chicken coop and have a half round hog house to go pick up and put in their fenced area for the pigs. You all stay safe and healthy. Enjoy.
Jon, so sorry. I pray rebuild goes smoothly.