Friday 2June23

While rummaging around looking for some other stuff I found a bottle stopper kit in a drawer in the shop. It is a Ruth Niles bottle cone so it is a quality piece. I decided to turn a bottle stopper.
When it was done I showed it to my wife. That proved to be a big mistake because she now wants me to turn enough (11) for her book club. So I ordered some more bottle cones and today I will scrounge up enough blanks for the job. Open mouth insert foot...

Yesterday afternoon was spent at the eye doctor's office. My cataracts have reached the point that they are affecting my vision. I get blinded by the sun and by headlights at night. So I am having surgery on my first eye at the end of this month and the other eye about three weeks after that. Oh joy! I am thankful there are doctors who can fix such things but I am never anxious to go under the knife. Over the last few years I have spent quite a bit of time getting whittled down by one surgeon or another. Supposedly this procedure will be done with a sedative as it is not necessary to have general anesthesia as it will only take 5 minutes or so. I was told it will take longer for the sedative to take effect and wear off than the procedure will take.

When my eyes are repaired I have committed myself to helping a neighbor build a chuppah for his son's wedding. A chuppah is a wooden frame by which a canopy is suspended for the bride and groom to stand under as they are being married in a Jewish wedding. Usually the frame is decorated with flowers and can be quite attractive. We priced the wood (my neighbor wants to use oak) and it is going to cost an arm and a leg. But cost is not a factor when it comes to your children is it. I drew up some plans that will allow it to be assembled quickly with 4" round head bolts concealed by the uprights. That will permit it to be carried in pieces in his SUV, assembled on site in the rose garden where the wedding will be and then disassembled to take home.

Here is a picture of one similar to what I am going to help him build. The horizontals on my design will be connected behind the vertical corners and the connectors will not be seen. Not exactly fine woodworking but it should be serviceable enough for a single use. It will not have the heavy base pieces like the one in the picture.

1685713507352.png

My usual weekend.. getting ready for the Farmer's Market tomorrow..
Tomorrow do the market with Ed.
Sunday feet up to recoup.

May be a chore this weekend... I jammed a finger in a spinning bowl yesterday, tore the nail back almost half way and it has throbbed all night.
Woke this morning with the nerve in my leg shocking me every few minutes.. hopefully that will pass later today.

Mostly the same boring stuff around here, with the exception of Bobbie "baby sitting" next door. The young couple has a 5-month old girl, but they are going out of town this weekend and need assistance with their year-old Golden Retriever that thinks he's still a puppy!

Outside of that, we'll head to Boston for lunch in a bit, then back home for a nap.

Saturday should be shop time on a couple of small projects, but that will depend on how I feel. Heart has been doing flip-flops a bit lately, so we'll see how it goes.

Sunday will start with me preparing brunch, as usual, then just chillin' and watching some racing wile I nap.

I've been finishing up the last of the plumbing, gas line, electrical work before drywall can begin on the guest cabin. I'll put up a couple of sheets this weekend and start installing the mini-splits as it's pretty humid feeling inside. The pressure gauge/cap should arrive to check the gas line before drywall. I may get the waterline dug up outside and located, then pressure test it as well. I can then start the trench to the house to hook up water. The septic guy is on my list to call and see when he's coming back to finish.

Taking our dog to the vet this afternoon for a checkup. He's a large dog and about 13+ years old, so he doesn't get around as well as he used to. In typical fashion, LOML is hoping for some miracle pill that will make him young again, and refuses to accept that he's just old like us. :rolleyes:

Later today or tomorrow my nephew will be coming by to texture the drywall patch in the dining room that was the result of our recent plumbing repairs. (He's the family drywall texturing ace.)

The rest of the weekend will be made up as it goes along. Might try to take a day trip to go look for cool things to photograph. There will also be the usual yard and house chores, and watching the qualifying and racing for the Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix.

Taking our dog to the vet this afternoon for a checkup. He's a large dog and about 13+ years old, so he doesn't get around as well as he used to. In typical fashion, LOML is hoping for some miracle pill that will make him young again, and refuses to accept that he's just old like us. :rolleyes:

Later today or tomorrow my nephew will be coming by to texture the drywall patch in the dining room that was the result of our recent plumbing repairs. (He's the family drywall texturing ace.)

The rest of the weekend will be made up as it goes along. Might try to take a day trip to go look for cool things to photograph. There will also be the usual yard and house chores, and watching the qualifying and racing for the Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix.
I have never used the product I am going to mention but my neighbor who has constantly had one or two dogs the entirety of the nearly 40 years living next door swears by it. It is called Ruff Green and it contains among other things, sweet potatoes, broccoli, kale, papaya and spinach.. She sprinkles a teaspoon or two on her dogs food and she says they love it, eat better and stay healthier and have more pep because of it. They do seem to be able to keep their dogs healthy.

Over the years they have had various terriers and they are happy healthy dogs. Sometimes when they are traveling we take care of their dogs. If we forget to sprinkle on this powder they will bark at us. As soon as the powder goes on they eat their food like it was a T-bone steak. They lick their bowls clean.

It has been one of the driest springs on record here, following a winter of very little snow. There are two major forest fires burning out of control, one on the outskirts of Halifax, where more than 150 homes have been destroyed and another in southwest Nova, near Shelburne town, that’s burned over 20,000 hectares. Those are big fires in this little place and resources are coming in from far and wide to help.
About an hour ago, a soft rain started falling and the weather service says we could get 30-40 millimetres by Sunday, then several days of cloudy and showers. Let’s hope it comes true!

Lots of indoor jobs to do here. The upstairs bookcase and kitchen framing and drywall jobs need to show some progress. As of this afternoon, five of the seven pregnant ewes have had their lambs with no drama, so have to keep an eye on the last two. It won’t be long, they’re almost as wide as they are long!

Have a good one! Pray for rain in Nova Scotia !

Last edited:
once again, nothing to do....I made the donut wall in 2 hours, doesnt even require any poly as it looks great and its ready to party.
since we have nothing planned as originally we thought wed be somewhere in the midwest this week, we are going to my daughter and going with them and the other side of the family to a street festival where my grandson will be allowed to climb on firetrucks.
since Im now watching the diet, there will be no pretzels, no funnel cake, no zeppoles, no pizza, no snacks, really no fun at all, but Ill enjoy my grilled chicken and salad as everyone else downs massive doses of junk food. afterall, what fun are street festivals if you cant partake in one of the 100 junk food booths.
Im going to line up some items to sell, like my trend mask, a keyhole saw set, a toolbox, and some other odds and ends I never use. Ive been successful selling off everything I tried to sell so far....not raking in big b ucks, but Id rather have a few bucks in my pocket then stuff just collecting saw dust , things I havent used in years.

I might start a few cutting boards just to have in house for gifts.

the kid gets me nervous, as soon as the firefighter(he was a young kid, maybe 20? asked my grandson do you want to go onto the truck, my grandson yelled yeah and put his arms out to be lifted up into it.
we try to teach him to be a bit wary of strangers, but Im guessing since were standing there he just let the kid pick him right up. my grandson got royal treatment because alot of the firefighters including the chief loved my grandsons shirt .they told us we take them as early as 13, as junior firemen.

All 5 grands here Friday through Saturday, then the 4 are here until Monday evening. Dehorning calves Monday afternoon so we are shaving all calves heads Sunday. Saturday we got some barn cleaning done, all 5 calves walked twice. They are learning. We quit graining them in their loose pen and if they want grain (which they do want!) they have to walk into the little catch pen, let us put a halter on them and walk them to the stanchions. Lock the stanchion and then take off their halter and let them eat a scoop of grain. We put them back in the loose pen after an hour and then an hour later, opened the gate to the catch pen and in they walked one at a time and wanting to go to a stanchion. Sunday CJ will cut his 2x4's to length and instead of trimming them on a table saw (my SSaw isn't here yet) I am going to have him run them through the planer to get the square corners. Hope he has it clamped up by days end. Wood carving wheels for the 4" grinder are to arrive Sunday. If so, Monday morning he can start grinding away. Then Doc will come dehorn and then we all load up to go to Audrey's softball game and then Fina will take her 4 home. Power wash the school bus and return it Tuesday, may take Wed. off!!!! You all be safe and stay healthy.

And yes Peter, we had a very dry May and yards look like August.

Ive learned alot of stuff since joining this board....one thing for sure, , once you own a farm, or livestock, you dont retire, ilts not a career, its a way of life.....there is never a down day. I read jons posts and it seems like there is always work to do with livestock....seems you work until the day you can no longer walk. I worked behind a counter for 33 years at one business, and drove a delivery van before that since I was 14. before that I delivered on foot, or subway, or bus......but I always knew at one point Id retire.....seems not so if you own farm or ranch.....Im guessing it keeps you young. or just hurts alot. regardless, its impressive to me.

Ive learned alot of stuff since joining this board....one thing for sure, , once you own a farm, or livestock, you dont retire, ilts not a career, its a way of life.....there is never a down day. I read jons posts and it seems like there is always work to do with livestock....seems you work until the day you can no longer walk. I worked behind a counter for 33 years at one business, and drove a delivery van before that since I was 14. before that I delivered on foot, or subway, or bus......but I always knew at one point Id retire.....seems not so if you own farm or ranch.....Im guessing it keeps you young. or just hurts alot. regardless, its impressive to me.
I was born to a farmer and grew up to about 14 on a farm... Dad was a share cropper and seemed to work from can until can't... he didn't want me to be farmer, and I agreed with him... main reason, farmers work too hard ( we need them, just didn't want to be one)... my neighbor is about 4 or 5 years younger than me, told me one day he was retired, but I see him out every day on his tractor or pick up doing something, cutting hay, hauling hay, feeding cattle, what ever the day calls for. He's rolled a ATV with a sprayer unit down the hill over him, life flighted to the hospital, caught his hand in a trailer hitch, pinned there for a couple of hours before his nephew came to check on him, tore up his shoulder and needed surgery, less than a week later he was out on his tractor delivering hay ..... an that's just since I've known him... no telling what happened before I moved here 18 years ago.
His wife does almost as much work as he does... she's about 20 years younger and I see her on the tractors too......

Way too much work for this old desk jockey.