Friday 30Sep22

Although we are in severe drought conditions still need to mow and knock down some tall grass. Lost two 12 foor Canaan fir trees to the drought. When I went to cut them down noticed even the dandeloins were wilted over turning crispy. Think I'll wear a mask to avoid the dust as I mow. Just take about 30 minutes to do what is necessary. Then putter around shop and see what else does't need doing or plan a new project. Terrible but I have no projects in the works,. Work bench all clear.
Everyone have a safe and healthy weekend. Pray for the people of Florida and the ones on the east coast.
David

Whipped up some spinach-artichoke dip to start my day so it will be meshed for the regular UGA football gathering tomorrow. Bobbie and I will head to Boston for our usual Friday lunch shortly.

Not sure about shop time, but still have a ton of clean-up to do out there - also have a couple of requested projects I should work on.

Sunday will start with me preparing brunch, then chilling until race time.

I let the new farm hands out of their carrier this morning, and they found the food bowl pretty quickly. Both are pretty small, can almost hold them both in one hand, so they will be kept inside overnight for a few more weeks. We have some things to haul over to her aunts house, for a yard sale next week. I have parts coming to swap the brakes on the jeep. May get the sawmill broke in on Sunday.

Not much happening here. We are just weathering the eastern side of Ian as it approaches. The current projected track shows it going pretty far west of us but due to its size we will get some gusty winds and lots of rain which have already begun. Not much in the way of terrain in the east of N.C. to slow down the winds so whatever diminishment that occurs will be due to the friction the storm encounters before it gets here. South Carolina will probably get it much worse than N.C.

I hope no one has any issues with the storm. Before retiring I had to work many, many storms as part of an incident response team for the government over the years. I have seen my fair share of misery caused by hurricanes and I would rather not see anymore.

If you are in the path of one of these storms be safe .

I hope all of you guys in Ian's path stay safe and dry. :thumb:

I have a rare band rehearsal this evening. It's rare, because we only get together to rehearse a few times per year. I might be going to an arts & craft show with LOML this afternoon, but that will depend on what time she's ready to go, because at some point this afternoon I'll have to get things set up for the rehearsal.

The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta starts on Saturday and will run through next weekend, so traffic around town will have a lot of extra tourists in the mix. For that reason I'll probably be staying close to home for most of this weekend. At this point I'm not planning to go out to the balloon field until next Friday afternoon.

Shop-wise, I'd like to finish up the roof for the roadrunner feeder that SWMBO has been wanting me to make for months. I could also stand to do a bunch of cleanup and organizing in the shop.

Sunday will be the usual yard and house stuff, and at some point I'll be watching the Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix.

Things have settled into a regular, but busy, routine at the apple farm, so I’m able to take the weekend to get caught up at home.
I’m putting some firewood in, mowing and building maintenance. It’s a nice fall day.

Wild weather down south. Take care, you guys, and don’t send it up here please.

Things have settled into a regular, but busy, routine at the apple farm, so I’m able to take the weekend to get caught up at home.
I’m putting some firewood in, mowing and building maintenance. It’s a nice fall day.

Wild weather down south. Take care, you guys, and don’t send it up here please.
image.jpg
Load 1 going in.

I am filling in the front yard where I had the well repair done. I can get 1/2 yard of fill in my Dodge Dakota. So far 2 loads of fill. I need one more load of fill then another 3-4 loads of loam.

I want to get grass planted this year.

Next year I will get stone dust and patio pavers.

It appears that whatever adverse weather we are going to receive from Ian has more or less passed. We had limbs and pine straw down. One plastic chair blew over. (Don't worry, we will rebuild.) Just 60 miles more west of us Raleigh had lots of trees down and power outages. Big mess in Raleigh when roads are blocked with trees and traffic signals aren't working. It is hard to believe that the traffic signals not working are a problem as it is my experience that no one on the road there pays the least little bit of attention to traffic signals.

Both our and our neighbor's rain gauges measured close to 5" of rain. I was surprised that that much fell. It is plenty wet in the yard and garden. Than goodness I have raised beds so stuff will not drown. Gardens here can produce with luck until December. I have had tomatoes to pick right up until Christmas.