Friday 31Jul20

Looks like rain again today. That's ok as we did need the moisture. Also I can get in my shop. New roof doesn't leak Whoopie!! Working on a tray of Baltic birch side grain. Trying to figure the design. Just something to work on that may be neat. Mowed yesterday so that's do e for the week. Had a little moisture so not dusty.
Everyone have a safe and healthy weekend. Eat wise and stay quarantined.
David

Supposed to be in the 100's today so not much work time in the shop but will watch contractors finish up the re-stuccoing (color coat) of my home. They will finish the painting the trim next week. Getting tired of the mess around here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Same-o, same-o for the most part around here. Got my mowing done Thursday on schedule.

Starting some final steps on my demilune today after mounting the main assembly.

My oldest daughter and her husband are due here sometime later today. We've been looking forward to the visit - been a while!

With the visit, not sure what else will be happening other than smoking some ribs Saturday, a pork loin Sunday and wings on Monday!

Not much going on here. Today I'm getting a few things organized to start up my new CCW training company. (Got my LLC squared away yesterday.)

Tomorrow morning I'm hand-digging a swimming pool for my next door neighbor. Temps are going to be in the low 100s, but I figure it's the neighborly thing to do since the soil is so rocky. Then tomorrow afternoon LOML and I will be participating in the tag-team camel races at the local mall. It's a yearly event, and it's all kinds of fun. Our camel, Harold, is pretty cantankerous, but man does he love to run. I think we stand a good chance of placing in the top 5 of the Amateur Division. Tomorrow night we're going over to my sister's place for a baby shower. My sis is 65 years old, so this upcoming new arrival is a surprise to all of us.

Sunday we're taking a cruise ship up the Rio Grande into the Colorado high country. We've done this cruise before and usually see lots of wildlife, ranging from elk and deer to giraffes and wombats. After that's done we'll hop on our skateboards for a leisurely ride back home. Fortunately, it's downhill all the way. Then Sunday night we'll settle in and watch Golden Girls reruns until the sun comes up, just like we always do.

Y'all have a good weekend!

... Sunday we're taking a cruise ship up the Rio Grande into the Colorado high country. We've done this cruise before and usually see lots of wildlife, ranging from elk and deer to giraffes and wombats. After that's done we'll hop on our skateboards for a leisurely ride back home. Fortunately, it's downhill all the way. Then Sunday night we'll settle in and watch Golden Girls reruns until the sun comes up, just like we always do.
Colorado high . . . giraffes and wombats . . . :alien:

Photos or it never happened! :rofl:

Playing around with some automation stuff. Hoping to finish moving the rest of the shelving to start running wiring and duct for the new dust collector. I also need to start painting the rocker for the nephew. May try to mow between rain storms sometime this weekend.

we are going back and forth deciding if we want to take a 3 day trip to the amish area in Pennsylvania. quilt stores, etc.....elens main concern is not the shopping or the eating out, its the hotels. that area of PA is green phase, 75% seating allowed in restaurants, and so forth and so on. being the 2 hotels we are interested in are wide open for weds-friday this week, we will keep going back and forth until tuesday night. I was very gung ho, lets get out of long island for a few days, been 9 months since Ive been anywhere, but Im also reluctant sometimes, not all the time, when I think of the baby coming next month, do I want to chance anything?
working with pvc all weekend, cleaning up shop, had kids over last night, they chose the burger place, 146 dollars, incredible, next time Ill choose the takeout food. but its nice having both kids over with spouses and being together.

not related to this, but my son told me he doubts he will ever go back to work in the office again, his boss is happy with the work at home and how productive everyone has been, so why pay huge rents for large office, seems alot of businesses in NY are going this way in the future.this may really hurt commercial real estate in NYC, and people will love not having to travel subways and railroads anymore, and businesses will save small fortunes. alot of places thought theyd perform poorly, but now people can work whenever, dont have to waste time commuting, dont have to worry about child care, this could be the new way.

not related to this, but my son told me he doubts he will ever go back to work in the office again, his boss is happy with the work at home and how productive everyone has been, so why pay huge rents for large office, seems alot of businesses in NY are going this way in the future.this may really hurt commercial real estate in NYC, and people will love not having to travel subways and railroads anymore, and businesses will save small fortunes. alot of places thought theyd perform poorly, but now people can work whenever, dont have to waste time commuting, dont have to worry about child care, this could be the new way.

I advocated for working from home at the last engineering firm I worked at. During a negotiation for a raise, the boss caved in and it saved me an hour and a half of commute time, plus more money. I could log in to the company servers and collaborate on line and on the phone as necessary. Working at my leisure on my own schedule got my portion of the projects done well ahead of schedule. The boss was happy, but he wouldn't let anyone else work from home...too old school. I hope the times are changing.

Our IT director is a bit old school and is still pushing for folks to come in after covid. I think he just wants to get away from his kid and wife...lol My boss is advocating that we stay remote after this, we've been way more productive and even had "special" projects thrown on us that we've all exceeded at. I don't see us going back. I'm hoping to move to the farm, not look back at commuting, and retire in a few years, but the later two may happen regardless, even if I have to change jobs.

Allen, My wife's 98 (soon to be 99) year old grandpa just left the assisted living he was in due to the lack of them letting him leave. He's sounded the happiest I've heard him in months being able to visit with the neighbors and enjoy the sunrises. His thoughts are that he'd rather live a few months and enjoy and see those that he cares about than be sheltered in a box and see no one. I still worry about him, but we all just have to do our part to protect ourselves and be respectful of those that we're around, that is all we can do, others will do as they will regardless.

My son is between jobs right now... he was a sheriff's deputy in Georgia and offered to work from home, but the sheriff didn't cotton to the idea. :D...
he left for other reasons, but glad he's out of law enforcement now... not a good fit for him.... he's going back into programming and trying to develop work he can do from home.
His wife has been working from home ever since they moved to GA about 5 years back... she runs a payroll system for a company out of Austin, TX....

The closest I ever got to working from home is playing in my shop... now in retirement, can do that anytime I feel like it. While I never actually worked from home during my working career, I did work remotely often.... I handled international shipments and often coordinated shipments from one country to another without the cargo ever coming to my warehouse or the U.S.