Friday 31Mar23

Spent a great day with Jarrod out of the shop. Jarrod did good 5th over all 185 shooters. I managed 54 out of 80. Jarrod talked me out of using my old 870 16 gauge poly choke to use his Simi. It was nice , less kick, and no bruse on the shoulder.
my son and son in law never fired a rifle or handgun until a few years back when we had a wedding in key largo florida. I took them to a range and it was a great experience for all of us. Especially the range officer saw Ive handled guns so she just left us by ourselves and brought us any handgun we wanted. Id love to go shooting with my son again. Im betting you all had a great time.(well, wait,. I did let my son shoot when he was 6, I still have his chipmunk single shot 22 short rifle)

my son and son in law never fired a rifle or handgun until a few years back when we had a wedding in key largo florida. I took them to a range and it was a great experience for all of us. Especially the range officer saw Ive handled guns so she just left us by ourselves and brought us any handgun we wanted. Id love to go shooting with my son again. Im betting you all had a great time.(well, wait,. I did let my son shoot when he was 6, I still have his chipmunk single shot 22 short rifle)
When my 3 boys were small I'd take each one with a pellet gun and they learned to shot by shooting bubble bee's sitting on the flowers of the tall holly tree. They got really good a picking them off. "One shot one kill"

I may have told this story before... as a teenager I used to strap my dad's 1920's .22 single shot rifle across the handlebars of my bike, ride out to my friends house about 4 or 5 miles out and we would spend the day target shooting... or favorite targets were the brass off the .22's sitting on top of a fence post... I got pretty good at knocking them off the post.

Haven't fired a gun since 1964 when I commented to the second class gunnersmate that I had never fired a .45.... as a p.o. 2 myself was supposed to be qualified with a .45, so he took me to the fan tail of the ship where they had just launched a weather balloon, handed me a .45 and said "shoot the balloon, don't worry the .45 won't penetrate it.".... don't know if I hit the balloon or not, but pretty certain I hit the Pacific ocean.

I may have told this story before... as a teenager I used to strap my dad's 1920's .22 single shot rifle across the handlebars of my bike, ride out to my friends house about 4 or 5 miles out and we would spend the day target shooting... or favorite targets were the brass off the .22's sitting on top of a fence post... I got pretty good at knocking them off the post.

Haven't fired a gun since 1964 when I commented to the second class gunnersmate that I had never fired a .45.... as a p.o. 2 myself was supposed to be qualified with a .45, so he took me to the fan tail of the ship where they had just launched a weather balloon, handed me a .45 and said "shoot the balloon, don't worry the .45 won't penetrate it.".... don't know if I hit the balloon or not, but pretty certain I hit the Pacific ocean.
Most of us during Vietnam era qualified with 45, 16. M-60, 50 I liked shooting. Started shooting and hunting @ 9
These days I worry a bit about kicking my right shoulder out of wack and having ear protecting.

hopefully, in a month or so we will start our trip out west. Im hoping this time I can shoot some fully auto once we get into wyoming or south dakota. last time out there in 2021 due to high ammo p;rices they werent renting fully auto rifles.(sorry about thread drift),
I never thought my vacations would be dictated by bad backs, knees and stomach issues, always thought airlines, weather, and stuff like that.

Most of us during Vietnam era qualified with 45, 16. M-60, 50 I liked shooting. Started shooting and hunting @ 9
These days I worry a bit about kicking my right shoulder out of wack and having ear protecting.
I'm Vietnam era also, but just barely... I was in from 1960 to Aug 1964 when it was declared an official police action on Aug 5...
I was separated on August 13.
As a radioman on shore station don't think we had to worry about firearms much... After Typhoon Karen blew up the mouth of the harbor on Guam in 1962 and destroyed the admin building flooding the radio room, we were moved to an unused barracks with limited security. The watch supervisor was handed a loaded .45 to wear during the watch... at that time I was RM3 (third class petty officer) and was watch supervisor on my shifts. One midnight watch I was bored and got tired of watching my striker sitting around smoking, light one butt off another, so sent him to the back room to sleep... started fiddling with the .45, dismantled it and was not sure how to put it back together...finally did with no parts left over, but hoped I never had to fire it. :D
For the 2 week period before we got fully set up, I had to make runs up to COMNAVMAR to pick up our comm traffic and had to wear it , but that was before I dismantled/re-assembled it. I should have been checked out on the pistol before they let me strap it on my hip.
In 1964 that was the first and last pistol I have ever fired... some experience with a rifle from teen years. In boot camp when we were supposed to go to the firing range, I was scheduled for a dental appointment and DI wouldn't let me reschedule it nor would he reschedule my firing range.... In my "Official" record, I'm marked as qualified with an M!.... have never seen or held one.