Friday, lets get today moving

The usual today: drive to Boston for shrimp and catfish, then back home for a nap. US Open men's semi-finals are this afternoon and tonight, so that will finish off our Friday.

I hope to get in my shop for a while Saturday morning to do a few things - haven't been heavily motivated lately for some reason - dunno. I know we'll watch the US Open women's final at 4pm and sneak a peak at the NASCAR Xfinity race occasionally.

Sunday will be the normal routine of me preparing brunch, then just chillin'. We'll watch the US Open men's final at 3pm and sneak a peak at the NASCAR Cup race occasionally.

Finished up ALL my little projects which had accmulated on my work bench. Feels good tom see tge open space. Wonder what I can throw on the to mess with my mind. Do a little shop reorganizing and clean the place up. It's been awhile since I really vacuumed up the play pen.
Everyon have a safe and healthy weekend. Stay cool.
Davi

I'll spend the week end dusting off all the tackle that hasn't been used in many years. I have 3 spinning reels and two fly reels that I need to replace the line on since it all very very old. I hold off on the bait casting reel for later. My oldest son (the one who retired from the Navy) and I are heading up to the white mountains Monday morning to do a little fishing and to get out of the heat.

Last edited:
Trying to get some stain on the new deck if the weather permits. Cleaning up the summer garden (peppers and squash), planting some fall crops, and trellising berries. There's always tinkering to be done. Need to figure out a way to keep the smoker going since the burner box has rusted out and a similar smoker replacement is $$$. I have the side burner from an old SS BBQ that might work if I pop rivit it onto what remains of the smoker bottom. Sharing some pictures from around the garden and of course...the snake beans are still growing.

Nekked sun bathers hardening off for a week or so:
4CBFD053-32F2-420D-B830-C8A50AB71DD2.jpeg

Bald cypress and juniper bonsai in training:
1B6C23E7-90A2-4BF4-A16D-411ABF63E385.jpeg

OK. Who did this?
6B440245-3B89-445C-9B30-52D70687BFF1.jpeg

I might have known:
IMG_0200.jpg,

IMG_0557.jpg

Other critters:
7FDEE0D4-C67A-4012-8DE2-DD5E05179206.jpeg
232BE2CF-1F05-4D49-9ED6-869F555C8D6D.jpeg

Snake beans:

0E2536ED-C0F8-4238-A509-9CA940750112.jpeg

Attachments

• A7817D6B-66E4-4D48-BD82-C67FEBEA8E82.jpeg
    A7817D6B-66E4-4D48-BD82-C67FEBEA8E82.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 7C9ABAED-9C7E-4E3C-8AB4-F61ED427E2C2.jpeg
    7C9ABAED-9C7E-4E3C-8AB4-F61ED427E2C2.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 0
Worky work today. Going the annual MO wine festival we've gone to for about 10 year now. We missed last year as we were moving, but had paid for the tickets, so can't quite count that as a miss, just timed out badly. We've got a tree guy coming on Monday to take down a few trees around the barn. Unfortunately most are leaning towards it, so letting someone more experienced take them down. Probably will have him clear up around where the little house was and chip up all that brush too. I have some things to get out of his way on Sunday though.

Don't have any plans for the weekend, maybe go fill the bird feeders for the wife... working at the museum as sales clerk again Sunday... we're having an auto show there tomorrow... might get up enough energy to drop in for a quick look-see.... suppose to have a diner truck there from Sr. Lopez selling tamale's... may have to pull a Dave Hoskins and pick up half dozen or so for dinner. Hoping they get their restaurant rebuilt soon... was a great place for Mexican food and the owner was a really nice young man.

It's the second Friday of the month, so that means the band will be back at the Dragonhorn Tavern this evening. That means I'll be spending most of the day getting my ducks in a row for this evening's festivities.

Saturday will be a recovery day. (Too old to rock & roll? Never...I just need longer to recover than I used to, lol.) I'll probably be doing a bit of yardwork, too. I also have some paperwork to get done for the insurance claim on the shooting club trailer that was stolen from me a month and a half ago.

Sunday has no plans yet, although I'll be watching the Formula 1 Italian Grand Prix at some point. (It'll be recorded before I even get up Sunday morning.)

Interesting. Our Praying Mantis are not green at all, but more of a straw/white color. I assume it makes them blend in better with the dry vegetation of the area. We have been seeing a lot of them as we stack firewood onto the firewood racks. Not sure if they like us relocating them, but it has to happen.

I have built two large firewood racks and stacked them full of wood. I am starting on my 3rd and last one, except for some smaller ones near the house. I will spend tomorrow setting and leveling the precast concrete piers they will sit on. Sunday will be some golf in the morning and then Monday I will pick up the PT lumber that I need. I have learned to get the PT lumber right before you will be using it. Nothing worse than letting it sit around getting dry before using it. That is unless you like challenge of working wood with twist, bow, crook and/or cup.

This fall will be a big push to get all outside work done before winter. It also includes getting the house ready for winter. I have to replace a lot of weather-stripping; finish stacking firewood; get the chimney sweep here and get our annual load of stove oil delivered. Oh yes, I almost forgot. Put all the summer things into storage and pull out all the winter stuff.

Trying to get as much done as possible before our leaving town for a few days next week. Jan and I have been married for 12 years so we thought it might be time to take our tenth anniversary vacation. :rofl: We planned it for 2020, but there was that little flu thing going around.... So, we head off to Mackinac Island for some well deserved R&R. In the mean time, got to get ahead on the shop work, mow, pack, clean the camera and charge batteries, etc., etc., etc.

It’s a nice fall day in Nova Scotia. Blue sky, high of 27C today with light NW breeze off the Bay of Fundy.
Some quiet work this morning shifting electric fences in the never ending pasture rotation. I’ll make some noise and black smoke this afternoon with the old Farmall clipping off the recently grazed lanes.
Catching bits of the long procession on BBC Live as it begins in Scotland. Sad at the loss of our beloved Queen.

Trying to get as much done as possible before our leaving town for a few days next week. Jan and I have been married for 12 years so we thought it might be time to take our tenth anniversary vacation. :rofl: We planned it for 2020, but there was that little flu thing going around.... So, we head off to Mackinac Island for some well deserved R&R. In the mean time, got to get ahead on the shop work, mow, pack, clean the camera and charge batteries, etc., etc., etc.
My parents and another couple went to Mackinac many years ago, maybe the 70’s. Everything on the island was horse-drawn, maybe still is(?).
When the staff found out my Dad and his friend were skilled horse enthusiasts, they ended up driving one of the teams around the island. I have a picture somewhere.
Thanks for bringing back that memory, Rennie and have a nice holiday.