Friday

Mid September, weather is right we're it's suppose to be, beautiful cool crisp morning.
Reunion tomorrow with kid I grew up with in the same neighborhood I live in. I like the fact I have deep roots in one spot. Kind of like that old oak tree.
Try to get a bowhunt this evening.
Tune up the. 68 VW Sunday. Then she'll be ready for the road or put her up for sale.

Pretty much routine around here. A little exercise and some shop cleanup this morning, then we'll drive to Boston for lunch of shrimp and catfish. I'll do the nap thing after lunch, then freshen up and prepare for the arrival of my massage therapist at 5pm.

Saturday will be the UGA game at the next-door neighbor's house. Our contribution to the goodie table this week will be my smoky cheese dip with bacon, tomatoes, and chopped fresh basil. Bobbie is making a finger sandwich plate. Later in the evening, we'll settle in back home to watch the Bristol night race.

Other than me preparing brunch, Sunday should be a do-nothing day for both of us.

We had some welcomed rain come in this week and taking advantage of that I weedwhacked some without the fear of starting a fire. Going to finish my last firewood rack today and sharpen some kitchen knives. My wife left Wednesday for her annual golf outing. About 30+ women from her old golf club in Bellingham make an annual pilgrimage over to this side of the mountains to stay and play at Alta Lake Golf Resort. From the tales I hear they play a lot of golf and drink some wine. I believe though it more like drink a lot of wine and play some golf.

I look forward to this trip each year. I consider it a stay at home vacation for me. It is a nice respite from a common heard comment from my wife, "Don't you think we should...". Basically her way of conveying there is probably something "productive" I should be doing. So bottom line, I plan on being very "unproductive" this weekend.

Last night I started picking up all the logs the tree guy cut and left. Worky work today. Tonight we plan to go pickup the new stove we ordered last week. Unfortunately the new microwave is on back order until late November.

Saturday we’ve got a few other errands to do in the morning. ill get the new stove installed. Then I’ll get the rest of the logs picked up behind the barn. I hope to start building up the sawmill base and doing final assembly on it.

Sunday I will get the backhoe attached and start digging out tree stumps and a little of the hillside behind the little house foundation to prepare for the new slab and plumbing. Eeh…who am I kidding, I’ll be messing with the saw mill. ;)

Last night I started picking up all the logs the tree guy cut and left. Worky work today. Tonight we plan to go pickup the new stove we ordered last week. Unfortunately the new microwave is on back order until late November.

Saturday we’ve got a few other errands to do in the morning. ill get the new stove installed. Then I’ll get the rest of the logs picked up behind the barn. I hope to start building up the sawmill base and doing final assembly on it.

Sunday I will get the backhoe attached and start digging out tree stumps and a little of the hillside behind the little house foundation to prepare for the new slab and plumbing. Eeh…who am I kidding, I’ll be messing with the saw mill. ;)
Here's my nephews set up.
Mostly walnut logs.

Attachments

• 30150670411120.jpeg
    30150670411120.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 30150670411673.jpeg
    30150670411673.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 18
I was gifted several beautiful Douglas fir 2 x 4 x 16's that I have no place to store. Need to cut them down so they fit in the lumber rack. Also need to dismantle the old SS BBQ to see if I can save some of the metal and get it out of the driveway. My widow friend ended up in the hospital yesterday, right in the middle of her move to a senior living facility so I think some of the weekend will be occupied trying to sort out whats going on. I'm going to ask her for a power of attorney just in case things go south. Otherwise the fall garden is going in. Lots of collards, kale, radishes, lettuce, broccoli and other cool season stuff. And of course the snake beans are in their fall colors.BECBDF56-3D2A-4994-BD6D-46B8905FB2ED.jpeg

I was gifted several beautiful Douglas fir 2 x 4 x 16's that I have no place to store. Need to cut them down so they fit in the lumber rack. Also need to dismantle the old SS BBQ to see if I can save some of the metal and get it out of the driveway. My widow friend ended up in the hospital yesterday, right in the middle of her move to a senior living facility so I think some of the weekend will be occupied trying to sort out whats going on. I'm going to ask her for a power of attorney just in case things go south. Otherwise the fall garden is going in. Lots of collards, kale, radishes, lettuce, broccoli and other cool season stuff. And of course the snake beans are in their fall colors.View attachment 122293
Ted you've got me interested in growing the Snakes or getting my Chinese neighbor who gardens
I was gifted several beautiful Douglas fir 2 x 4 x 16's that I have no place to store. Need to cut them down so they fit in the lumber rack. Also need to dismantle the old SS BBQ to see if I can save some of the metal and get it out of the driveway. My widow friend ended up in the hospital yesterday, right in the middle of her move to a senior living facility so I think some of the weekend will be occupied trying to sort out whats going on. I'm going to ask her for a power of attorney just in case things go south. Otherwise the fall garden is going in. Lots of collards, kale, radishes, lettuce, broccoli and other cool season stuff. And of course the snake beans are in their fall colors.View attachment 122293
Ted you've got me interested in gardening now either that or I get my Chinese neighbor who gardens to grow them.. So looking them up they're called Chinese python snake bean. What is the longest one you have grown is grown?

Heading to the NM State Fair in a few minutes. NM has a decent fair every year, but it pales in comparison to the LA County Fair and LOML and I used to go to every year.

Aside from that, I'll be kind of making things up the rest of the weekend. No firm plans that I know of.

It’s been a busy week on the farm as the apple harvest ramps up and that trend is going to roll right through the weekend. I’ve been servicing and putting some machinery away for the winter and getting the bin trailers all tuned up to hopefully avoid any time wasting breakdowns.
Sunday is a day “off” here at home so there’s a full list of fall jobs to work away at. There are several areas of concern on the exterior of the house and the big barn, in terms of weather tightness. Today it was only 13 degrees for the high with a cold NW wind blowing off the bay, which gives a person a certain sense of urgency around these outdoor jobs!

Last edited:
Ted you've got me interested in growing the Snakes or getting my Chinese neighbor who gardens
Ted you've got me interested in gardening now either that or I get my Chinese neighbor who gardens to grow them.. So looking them up they're called Chinese python snake bean. What is the longest one you have grown is grown?
Dave that bean house is 7' tall and several of the beans have touched the ground. Most are in the 4-6' range. I'm happy to send you some seeds, and anyone else who wants to grow some. They are mild flavored and good in stir fries and curries, but I just grow them because they're cool. The seeds are slow to germinate so you have to carefully mark the spot so you don't forget and pull them as weeds. All the one in my photos come from only three plants.

Dave that bean house is 7' tall and several of the beans have touched the ground. Most are in the 4-6' range. I'm happy to send you some seeds, and anyone else who wants to grow some. They are mild flavored and good in stir fries and curries, but I just grow them because they're cool. The seeds are slow to germinate so you have to carefully mark the spot so you don't forget and pull them as weeds. All the one in my photos come from only three plants.
Shelly said she will be in charge where they get planed. LOL

Thanks
Ted