Fridy 26May23

Clen up my smoker after doing ribs last night. Do some weeding in yard and burn some stumps. Daughter down for a day ,going to latch onto cookies mama made yesterday. Also getting our seal a meal.we don't use any more. Celebrate Memorial Day.
Everyone have a safe and healthy weekend and more.
Remember those who have gone before us. Happy and safe MEMORIAL DAY.
David

Not sure what is going to happen. Turkey season is over and I tagged 7 birds starting in Fl. then Va. Md. and finished up in Vt. I made a appointment at the DMV for new Handy-cap tags for the bird about 3 weeks ago and in and out in 15 minutes this morning.
Shop work today and most likely moving at the farm Saturday.
I'm waiting on Harley to arrive sometime between now and next Friday.
Menoriel Day most likely a ride somewhere on the bike and dinner with Jonathan and family.

Looks like a plumbing weekend for me. I hate plumbing. The under-mount sink in the kitchen has detached from the granite. Hopefully I can get the old silicone cleaned up and new sink clips epoxied on without having to remove the garbage disposal. This is one of those on your back, uncomfortable, contortionist jobs that test your patience. Now I need to clean up the mess I made in the shop looking for that package of sink clips and the Third Hand supports that eluded me for several frustrating hours. Did I mention I hate plumbing?
Lawn needs mowing and garden needs weeding. On a positive note...we have blueberries!!
IMG_8869.jpg

The usual rut down here: Bobbie and I will load up soon for our trek to Boston for lunch, then back home for naptime. This afternoon, I need to clean out my Traeger in preparation for smoking some beef jerky that has been marinating for a couple of days.

Saturday, I need to make some progress on a couple of small projects in my shop - a bit of milling, etc.

Sunday will begin, as usual, with me preparing brunch, then settle in for the Indy 500 in preparation for the NASCAR Coke 600 later in the day. Definitely a day to end up bug-eyed!!!

well today I spend the day learning about Lightburn and using it on the Aterz platform, lots of YouTube watching and reading of thread on forums. Tomorrow we (the Legion Riders) have our monthly ride so that will take up all of the morning. In the afternoon more youtube and reading while waiting for the Big Blue truck to deliver the Engraver/cutter. If it doesn't get here to late I'll assemble it. Sunday is full with Church in the morning followed by working Bingo at the post so that will pretty much shoot any time in the shop. Monday we have to do the full Honor Guard at a Memorial Day ceremony at a local Cemetery afterwards the Legion is hosting a Pancake breakfast at the Post. Then hopefully I'll spend the afternoon playing with my new Laser Engraver.

Got the lawn mowed yesterday, need to week a couple of raised beds ... may get to them one day. Need to put finish on a collection of little bowls
I have working in the shop.
Tomorrow is usual trek to Knoxville for the farmer's market... skipped last week after having the heart catherization on Wednesday before...
Sunday, hopefully will be counting money from Saturday... then probably a nap to catch up from Saturday. Maybe a little shop time.

Messing around learning to turn a saddle surface. I have seen other turners show pictures of their creations but I have never asked them how it was done.

My wife the mathematician showed me a calculus book with formulae and descriptions of a saddle surface. It is technically known as a hyperbolic paraboloid. We are all familiar with this shape and I am willing to bet that most everyone has eaten food in the shape of hyperbolic paraboloid.

1685121486949.png Yep, a Pringle is in the shape of a hyperbolic paraboloid. 1685121545482.png

Turning this shape requires that the wood be turned in two axes. So far so good. I turned my first one and now I am in the process of hollowing it. By the way the top of the turning will have that shape. The sides and bottom will be no different than any other similarly shaped turning.

So at your next cocktail party bring up the subject of hyperbolic paraboloids and everyone will think you are really smart.:p

The only major thing on my schedule this weekend is the monthly Range Day with my shooting club on Sunday. Aside from that, I have a variety of chores and projects to do that may or may not get done. New door locks on my Ranger pickup, tweaking some stuff on my guitar rig, making a dump run, cleaning the griddle for my gas grill (and then immediately getting it dirty again, lol), never ending yard trimming and cleanup, and trying my hand at making NM Red Gravy (a.k.a Chimayo red chile sauce). All are possibilities; none are certain. 😂

I have a gas line to run for the hot water heater and need to start installing the mini-splits at the guest house. I also have some waterlines to run to the greenhouse for setting up the automatic watering, and some fans to cut in and install for cooling. I got the product to put in the ponds for the muck, so cut some off, put part of it in each pond. It was almost like a candle wax consistency, so interested to see how it dissolves over time. I'm holding on to the second one for a bit to see if it's working or needs more, otherwise we have a "pond" that used to be the creek about 70 years ago that could use some clean up too.

Did not go to the end of the year breakfast at school today. Instead CJ and I worked in the school shop and loaded a trailer load of engine and various tools I have let students use to finish projects. Am sure the rumor mill is running as I was absent from the meeting and when they left the school there I was with a trailer being loaded from the shop. 35 years teaching at this school. Brought my portable forge, welder, metal bender, plasma cutter, inch socket set and ratchet, mini tire changer and a host of other things. Setting up the shop my dad had built for a welding/hot work shop. Have my MF 2020 tractor in there ready to split to put in a new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing soon. So been busy today. CJ's young muscles are a godsend. You all stay healthy and safe.

The farm and garden cleanup is continuing and the brush pile at the back of our pasture is growing. I’m starting to see progress! I got the old Farmall involved yesterday and yarded a couple of decent pine logs around to the sawmill pile.

We have a pile of 100+ year old, very rustic (nails and all) eastern hemlock boards that we replaced during the big barn roof re-building. We’ve saved a few for posterity, but the rest have to go. Just for fun, I listed them on FB Marketplace yesterday and got five of six time-wasting replies, but haven’t moved a board yet!

There is a worrisome pest in some of our mature eastern white pine trees and we have lost five in the past ten years. It’s a burrowing beetle and we’re researching some control options. Every bulletin I’ve read so far lists site cleanup and removal of dead trees as the first step, even stump grinding and soil drenching. We have a nice micro-forest coming along on that side of the property, so we want to get this under control.

It’s Apple Blossom Weekend here in the Annapolis Valley, so lots of community events are underway and the fruit trees are in bloom, right on schedule. We’re taking in the annual Woodville Chicken Barbeque this afternoon, a great venue for catching up with friends and neighbours.

It’s Memorial Day down south. “Happy..” doesn’t seem to fit, but I hope it’s a good one and everyone is able to pay tribute in the way of their choosing.

Safe travels.

Last edited:
spent today with grandchildren, they might come here tomorrow, not sure yet....happy the driving is over.
dont think I could handle another long roadtrip, even though this one was short. only 17 days.
16 states I believe, b ut the unpacking and packing car constantly and then long days driving, nah, I think we b oth had enough.
time to plan our next trip, but this time we will have a destination, then just stay there for a couple of weeks. probably rent a house thru vrbo somewhere upstate on a lake so my kids can visit when they want and we arent more then a 4 or 5 hours away.