Front Door Re-do

glenn bradley

A neighbor has a door that is pretty long in the tooth. IT is odd sized for reasons I do not know. The replacement cost was ridiculous. I am trying to buy him a few more years out of it.

Anthony Door 1.jpg

There is some physical damage due to the door remaining in service once the finish had failed. I am not trying for "new", just hoping for acceptable.
Mostly done with finish here.

Anthony Door 2.jpg

Tomorrow I will check it out and proceed as I will.

Looks good Glenn. What finish did you use ? We've found Man-O-War is the a great finish.
Thanks everyone. @Dave - Coincidentally I did use McCloskey Man-O-War gloss; happy accident. The door had seen better days so I knocked the gloss down a bit with a non-woven pad to better hide some of the irregularities. 20-odd years ago the original finisher had written "minwax colonial maple" along the top edge. I just happened to have some on hand and the match was quite good; another happy accident. The door now stands on a covered front porch behind a security-style screen door so exposure is minimal. I imagine he'll get a few more years out of it now.

Thanks everyone. @Dave - Coincidentally I did use McCloskey Man-O-War gloss; happy accident. The door had seen better days so I knocked the gloss down a bit with a non-woven pad to better hide some of the irregularities. 20-odd years ago the original finisher had written "minwax colonial maple" along the top edge. I just happened to have some on hand and the match was quite good; another happy accident. The door now stands on a covered front porch behind a security-style screen door so exposure is minimal. I imagine he'll get a few more years out of it now.
Glenn we put on 3-4 coats and a good sanding between coats. The door you did should get 7 years at least.